8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 7:18 PM by gener7

A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing

gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just was at Cliff's Variety Store (San Francisco) and came across this special edition tribute pencil set to photographer Dorothea Lange, famous for her 1936 Migrant Mother photo.

https://blackwing602.com/blackwing-volumes-volume-344/  

The pencil is themed as to how it would appear under a red safelight.

Just something I'm sure photographers here who once used darkrooms would like to see.

Gene

Note: They are sold out on this website, but Jetpens.com should have them.

• 1. Re: A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

gener7  wrote

Note: They are sold out on this website, but Jetpens.com should have them.

I wonder how many they sold and who bought them? 

I also wonder what Dorothea would have thought of taking a photograph with a tiny cell phone?

http://k01.kn3.net/496FCD18C.jpg

• 2. Re: A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing

Digital photography would have been a treat. Add touching up in Lightroom or Photoshop and transferring the final work to any destination in the world via cloud storage or showcasing on Flickr.

In 1936:

Box camera, plates, and any color so as long as it was black and white. Then it went to a lab if she did not have access to a darkroom.

Post-processing meant knowing how long the plates stayed in the chemical bath for the amount of exposure.

I came in at tail end of  the film era when a drugstore could run a 36 shot roll through a machine in one hour for $11 in 4x5 prints. That was 1990s dollars and one batch is more than the Photography Plan.

Anyway, I guess Blackwing did sell out of the stock, and I know some went to stores like Cliff's. The 24 USD price is reasonable for a dozen limited run pencils. They do send some of the proceeds to fund school programs, but I'm not sure what schools get it and in in what amount.

• 3. Re: A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing

I had a darkroom at home for several years, but it was the smell of the chemicals that I was happiest to leave behind.  I made the point in the Photoshop forum a few days ago, about my brother's trip to New Zealand.  At the end of a five wee trip he took home 850Gb of mostly video from a dashcam and his Hero 5, and 50Mp stills from my 5DS that I loaned him.  The bugger also knocked my UHF whip off the roof bending the roof panel into the bargain, and left a terrible smell in my truck (that I loaned him) that still hasn't gone completely several weeks later.

But getting back to his 850Gb of imagery, after my first four week trip here for a holiday, I took home two 36 exposure rolls of transparencies!

By way of a very loose segway, I'd read that charcoal is good for absorbing smells, so I bought a box of charcoal drawing pencils from the stationary shop that spend at least half an hour a week browsing just in case they have got exciting new stock in .  I spread them out around my truck, but they haven't made a jot of difference.

• 4. Re: A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing
                Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Trevor, try filling a small bucket with charcoal briquettes. No guarantees, but worth a try.

• 5. Re: A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing

Never thought of charcoal briquettes as an odor remover, Ben. I guess you found yourself in situations needing that.

I'd go with a professional car cleaning that deals in odor removal if you are out of ideas, Trevor.

Might cost some, but you do what you have to do.

• 6. Re: A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing
                    Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Actually, lump charcoal - I misspoke. Briquettes with some additives could add smell of their own. Anyway, Carbon is a pretty good scent absorber, but you do need quite a bit of it. Pencils wouldn't cut it unless you've got a small space.

Gene's right, though. Only way to truly get rid of the smell would be to remove what ever is causing the smell.

• 7. Re: A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing

It's 'almost' gone.  At least it is waaaay better than when he first bought the truck back.  It is a fishy sort of smell. The trouble is when I asked about it, he just said get it valeted and send him the bill, and wouldn't say what had happened or even where.  That means I have no way of targeting the problem.  There was also one of impregnated pine tree shaped deodorizers hanging from the mirror, and a bottle of Fabreze and a cloth under the drivers seat. 

The first thing he said when back was to laugh and say the truck was 'almost' the same as when he took it, and I thought he meant he'd done something nice like put a couple of tires on it.  Note, I'd put two new tires, had the cam belt changed and a full service a week before he got to us, and he put 5000 kilometres on it.  But, no.  He wasn't treating me.  He had the broken CB antenna in his hand with a suggestion about how I could fix it, and the buckled roof panel.

Of course the antenna was buggered, and I had to replace it at NZ$120, and the new one is sitting at an angle because I need half a days work to take out the roof lining enough to beat flat the buckle, so I am not best chuffed about it.  This is how it used to look.  After fitting the new antenna the CB wouldn't power up, but that was just a bad earth.  Naturally I forgot to plug in the extension speaker when I had the dash out, so that's another hours work.   No good deed goes unpunished, as they say.

• 8. Re: A photography themed pencil: Dorothea Lange Blackwing

I can only guess you'll have the number of a car rental place at hand...even if he just promises it will be a quick trip around the block.

Everyone is a rookie when it comes to operating and taking care of your stuff no matter how well you get on with them.