5 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2017 6:40 PM by wobertc

trying to arrange photos in Lr6 slide show or even in library

joeo75929661

Trying to arrange photos in slide show or in my library, I get these following messages.

1: Custom order is not supported on a folder that contains subfolder.

2: The currently selected source does not support custom order.

Viewed the manual and I can not find any reference to my problem, any help will be well appreciated.

• 1. Re: trying to arrange photos in Lr6 slide show or even in library
          richardplondon Level 4

If you want to organise your images into a custom order (something other than one of the automatic sorting choices offered, such as in sequence taken) then they need to derive from a single source. This means: either images which all live in a single folder (and not a parent folder plus its subfolders), or else images that all come from a single Collection (this can't be a Smart Collection btw).

Effectively, it is either that given folder, or else that given Collection, which 'remembers' any Custom order for the images within.

IMO your best solution here will not be to move images. It will be to highlight all the images that you want to see in your Slideshow, and then make a new Collection, selecting the option to add the currently highlighted images to that.

Then by clicking on this new collection, you will be able to reorder these images however you want (either in Grid view, or in the Filmstrip). And these will be the images seen in your Slideshow too.

[This procedure will not actually duplicate the images themselves; it will only present an extra way to view these same pictures, as a group. When you are finished, you can safely delete this collection again (or keep it): NOTE deleting the collection will not delete any images; it will only delete that grouped view.]

• 2. Re: trying to arrange photos in Lr6 slide show or even in library
            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

As above by Richard- Create a Standard Collection. Good advice for Custom sorting.

Also you must click the tab to [Create Saved Slideshow]

This will create a specialized Collection that contains all the images in the order you decided with all the template formatting and text, etc, preserved. You can then always return to editing the Slideshow by double-clicking this "Slideshow Collection" with the [>] icon.

(and delete the Standard Collection if you wish)

ScreenShot177.jpg

ScreenShot178.jpg

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: trying to arrange photos in Lr6 slide show or even in library
              joeo75929661 Level 1

Thanks for your input. I'll give a try. Just starting out with any digital programs most of my past work was done in a darkroom.

• 4. Re: trying to arrange photos in Lr6 slide show or even in library
                BetaPlus5

I was moving images quite happily and then it became impossible and wouldn't let me move any images again ...so I tried to delete that collection and start again but it's still there and it wont let me create a new collection. I'm trying to organise a wedding album/book in the book module and get the sequence right

• 5. Re: trying to arrange photos in Lr6 slide show or even in library
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

I was moving images

First- that is the wrong thing to do. There is never a need to move image files in their folders.

I tried to delete that collection

And are you talking about a Standard Collection in the "Collections Panel" of Lightroom?

If you are referring to folders on your hard-drive then you have some misconceptions about how Lightroom works.

it wont let me create a new collection.

How are you trying to create a new collection.

Normally you just click the [+] icon on the header of the Collection Panel.

Then you add photos to the collection and arrange them in any order you want.

Photos in a Collection are not in a physical hard-drive location. The Collection is only a list of references to the master files elsewhere.

Show us a screen-clip of your Collections Panel.