5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 8:13 AM by JimHess

Lightroom standalone camera updates?

robg33769690

Wanting to purchase Lightroom 6 from Best Buy. Wondering if upcoming Canon dslr bodies and lenses will work with the standalone software? I'm planning on buying the upcoming Canon 6D mark II when it is released. As a hobbiest, I will not be editing enough to consider the CC version.

• 1. Re: Lightroom standalone camera updates?
          Axel Matt Level 4

Updates for new cameras and lenses will be already available for the box version of Lightroom.

• 2. Re: Lightroom standalone camera updates?
            dj_paige Level 9

robg33769690  wrote

Wanting to purchase Lightroom 6 from Best Buy. Wondering if upcoming Canon dslr bodies and lenses will work with the standalone software? I'm planning on buying the upcoming Canon 6D mark II when it is released.

If the camera is supported by some future version of Lightroom 6, then you will get this update free. If the camera is not supported until Lightroom 7, then purchasing Lightroom 6 will not get you support for the camera, you would have to purchase Lightroom 7 OR use the free Adobe DNG Converter.

As a hobbiest, I will not be editing enough to consider the CC version.

Really, the difference between Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC has nothing to do with being a hobbiest. You may or may not want the features of Lightroom CC, even if you are a hobbiest.

• 3. Re: Lightroom standalone camera updates?
              robg33769690 Level 1

So there will be upcoming updates from Adobe for cameras that have not been released yet?

• 4. Re: Lightroom standalone camera updates?
                JeffreyOD Adobe Employee

The version of Lightroom in the box is 6.0. The latest version of Lightroom is 6.9. As said above, as long as there are additional updates planned for Lightroom 6, you will get those for free. Those updates do typically contain support for new cameras that were released since the last update.

• 5. Re: Lightroom standalone camera updates?
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

robg33769690  wrote

Wanting to purchase Lightroom 6 from Best Buy. Wondering if upcoming Canon dslr bodies and lenses will work with the standalone software? I'm planning on buying the upcoming Canon 6D mark II when it is released. As a hobbiest, I will not be editing enough to consider the CC version.

Upcoming Canon DSLR bodies that have not yet been released will not be supported by Lightroom 6 until it is officially released and on the market. Then Adobe can create profiles for the camera. If there is another update to Lightroom 6 after that camera is released then it will probably be supported. IF there is a Lightroom 7 that is released before that camera is available, then you will have to purchase an upgrade to that new version of Lightroom.

Some people have this concept of Lightroom CC being some mystical magical super upgrade to Lightroom 6. It isn't that at all. It's the very same program, looks the same. it's just that Lightroom CC along with all of its updates has new features that were not included in Lightroom 6. Lightroom CC users are paying for those new features, so they get them. Lightroom 6 users do not get the new features.