7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2017 2:38 PM by Just Shoot Me

Arrange library by date

studiomigo Level 1

Hi

Is there a way or a plugin that can go through my entire library and rearrange the photos by date? At the moment I have a mix of dates and named events. I simply want to default by date and use my meta keywords or filter to search for specific photos if needed.

Thanks

Mica

• 1. Re: Arrange library by date
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

In what respect do you want this to happen. In the Folders area or the images themselves in the Grid view? In Grid view just set the Sort: to Capture Time.

If you want to rename to rearrange folders that is something you will need to do manually, as far as I know of.

• 2. Re: Arrange library by date
            studiomigo Level 1

The second one.

I would like all the photos to rearrange by date, i.e create new folders and move photos around based on there date stamp.

• 3. Re: Arrange library by date
              dj_paige Level 9

As Just Shoot Me said, in the Grid, it's easy to sort by the capture date and time. Use View->Sort

Or, you could also find photos taken on any particular date (or any particular month, or any particular group of months, etc.) by using the Filter bar. There's no need to rearrange your photos in order to use the filter bar, it will work regardless of how your folders are set up.

If you are planning to perform large amounts of work to obtain dated folders by moving photos into new folders, I would advise not to do this. In addition to the above search feature of Lightroom, which enables you to find photos by date, there are much more powerful ways in Lightroom to organize than creating dated folders of your existing photos. You can organize by keywords and other metadata, which provides a more powerful organization, and doesn't require moving photos from here to there.

• 4. Re: Arrange library by date
                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I am sure you can do this by creating a new Catalog and importing from your existing one - check the options in there.

• 5. Re: Arrange library by date
                  studiomigo Level 1

Thank

I don't want to sort the grid I want to completly cleanup the folder structure on the left side (and in Finder).

• 6. Re: Arrange library by date
                    studiomigo Level 1

Thanks George the Kiwi

i think that might be the best solution choosing 'move' and selecting 'by date'.

ill post the results.

thanks.

• 7. Re: Arrange library by date
                      Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

I personally do it by years with a top level folder named Pictures 2xxx for each year then subfolders by month and day, 0328 or if you like 03-28.

You can do it anyway you like. But as I stated in my first reply this is something you will need to do manually.

Then use the Filter bar to select images from each date and move them into the newly created folders.