3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2008 9:57 PM by Teradjunct

asdoc and linked .as files

Teradjunct
      I'm trying to generate documentation, using asdoc, for a Flash project that includes classes designed for library asset linkage. However, asdoc exits with errors on these classes, and it is obvious that the problem is what appears to the compiler as "undeclared properties," that are actually part of the library asset.

An example error is: "Error: Access of undefined property mBack."

where mBack is actually a background MovieClip defined inside the fla file library using the class.

Does anyone have an ideas for a workaround?
        • 1. Re: asdoc and linked .as files
          Teradjunct Level 1
          For anyone interested, I found a solution. In the Flash IDE you need to change the actionscript publish settings to NOT "Automatically declare stage instances." Then you can add explicit declarations in the .as class file, which makes asdoc happy.
          • 2. Re: asdoc and linked .as files
            Level 7

"Teradjunct" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gi4m3j$aka$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > For anyone interested, I found a solution. In the Flash IDE you need to
            > change
            > the actionscript publish settings to NOT "Automatically declare stage
            > instances." Then you can add explicit declarations in the .as class file,
            > which
            > makes asdoc happy.

I couldn't ever get it to work that way around. Glad you managed it ;-)

• 3. Re: asdoc and linked .as files
              Teradjunct Level 1
              Yeah, I was surprised by how easy it was to work with once I got it going. There are limitations on the declarations, like public, which make sense but otherwise it has worked without a problem. I was initially concern by the possibility of having to specify classes for hierarchical library assets, which would make design changes intractable, but Flash seems to take care of initialization unless you override.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.