6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 1:28 PM by Roei Tzoref

Default corner radius of rounded rectangle

coryransom

I am wondering if anyone has come across a way to edit the default radius of rounded corner shape/mask tool. I thought creating a dummy layer where I set a corner radius for my mask using up/down might save the last know settings for that tool.... nope. I often have multiple images laid out within a comp that that all need rounded corners, sometimes larger radius, sometimes smaller radius, but I want all corner radius to match. Double clicking the the mask tool will fit the mask shape to image size (which I want in this case), but there is simply no way that I can find that will change or set that initial radius. Masking the alpha in photoshop would work... but it would be the painfully long way around.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Default corner radius of rounded rectangle
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No way that I know of other than creating an animation preset.

• 2. Re: Default corner radius of rounded rectangle
            Roei Tzoref Adobe Community Professional
            but there is simply no way that I can find that will change or set that initial radius

if you create a shape or mask using the rectangle tool, you can press the up/down arrow to adjust its corners (same as you do with illustrator). if it's a mask, once you set the corners, there is no parameter to change it differently other than manually adjusting the handles of your vertices. if it's a shape, you  can easily change the rounding of the corners after the fact through the roundness parameter

I thought creating a dummy layer where I set a corner radius for my mask using up/down might save the last know settings for that tool.... nope

if you create a mask or shape and adjust it's parameters with the arrows, Ae will remember the last setting you used for the next mask/shape you make. if you click twice on the parametric tool, it will reset the parameters or the specific shape to the default.

• 3. Re: Default corner radius of rounded rectangle
              coryransom Level 1

if you create a mask or shape and adjust it's parameters with the arrows, Ae will remember the last setting you used for the next mask/shape you make. if you click twice on the parametric tool, it will reset the parameters or the specific shape to the default.

Really? I mean really? Shakes head... So close, yet so far. Corner radius adjustment, a feature that is available in every other Adobe design app and has been there for many versions still isn't included in 2017. I looked all over AE scripts too, can't believe someone hasn't written a panel for this yet. I guess its time to get my code on.

• 4. Re: Default corner radius of rounded rectangle

as I mentioned, It is available as a parameter adjustment for shapes. If you need the shape to serve as a matte you can use the alpha matte feature or use the set matte effect. If you have a feature in mind, you can submit it in the wishform page.

• 5. Re: Default corner radius of rounded rectangle
                  coryransom Level 1

Thanks Roei! Unfortunately "Set Matte" doesn't match the relative position of each new image in the comp.

My workaround is as follows:

• Keyframe a master mask for each image size in the comp and copy that keyframe across all images of equal size
                  • One step further add an expression to the mask path to reference the master path so when I make an adjustment to the master it effects all images connected.
                  • 6. Re: Default corner radius of rounded rectangle

Thanks for sharing your workaround, sounds like a neat workflow.