8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 11:17 AM by Tim Shundo

FW CS4 Major Bugs I've Encountered So Far

Tim Shundo
      *Had to edit because even the bullet tag doesn't even work. C'MON ADOBE!*

Some of these have been covered already, but I just wanted to start a definite list of things that make CS4 unusable and should have been fixed in the beta before the final release.

New Text Engine:
      • Crazy Selection Boxes - The text remains in it's set place but the selection box that should be surrounding it is located elsewhere on the page. Selecting the text does not move the selection box back to the text, but rather the text to the selection box, rendering precise formatting useless. Seems to be triggered by using the arrow keys to move text, or shift+arrow keys for faster 10px movement.

• Convert Text to Paths - Converting text to paths outputs something unrecognizable, especially fonts under 12pt/px.

• Anti-aliasing - Text looks nothing like in-browser text, even when fiddling around with the advanced anti-aliasing settings.

• Auto Kern - Does nothing?

• Text Editor - Removed... but not?

New Vector Engine
      • Combining Paths - produces graphic anomalies/bleeding. Go "punch" a box into another. A 1px line is formed when there shouldn't be anything at all.

Tabs
      • Selecting Objects - When switching between tabs, a double click is required to select an object when going from one tab to another, even though said objects appears to be selected before switching back.

• Exporting - When multiple tabs are open and I hit Command + Shift + X to export, the document that is going to be exported is not the document/tab I have currently selected/open. Going into the open document and selecting an object within will export it correctly.

• Tab Management - Not really a bug, but very annoying. When the tab bar overflows with tabs, a small button appears at the right to scroll through each tab. But you can't scroll, you have to select the needed tab from a dropdown.

• Moving Between/Creating New Tabs - Tabs should act more like safari in that objects should be able to be dragged to a tab in the tab bar and the tab that is being hovered over should open. Also, an object from within or from outside safari should be able to be dragged to the tab bar to be opened into a new document/tab.

Fireworks in General
      • Closing - Most of the time, exiting Fireworks using Cmd + Q results in a "crash report" window. Not sure why.

• Resizing Windows - Even without the Application Frame, maximizing the window can be a pain. If the "properties" toolbar isn't attached to the bottom of the screen, hitting the green + button on the main document window will maximize the window all the way to the bottom of the screen, behind the properties toolbar. It's kinda annoying.

Text Engine - Convert text to paths sample:
      http://timshundo.com/dpud/uploads/fwcrap.png

Text Engine - Crazy text boxes sample:
      http://www.timshundo.com/dpud/uploads/ugh.png

Vector Engine - Combining paths sample:
      http://www.timshundo.com/dpud/uploads/fwcs41.png

I think that's it for now. Any more I remember/find will be posted here. Dearest Adobe, I'm severely disappointed with this release and expect a (free) update that fixes it all.
        • 2. FW CS4 Major Bugs I've Encountered So Far
          Martijn74 Level 1
          Hi Tim,

Thanks for putting up this extensive list of bugs.
          I have encountered most of them as well, and am as dissapointed with this release as you are.

One bug I like to add:

Fireworks in General:
          * Contents of property window dissapear
          Sometimes, especially when switching between apps (fireworks to X and back) the property window stays empty. You need to restart Fireworks to fix it.

http://www.tinge.nl/files/emptyproperty.png

• 3. Re: FW CS4 Major Bugs I've Encountered So Far
            blackmondo
            Thanks for listing these bugs Tim!

I encountered the Tabs > "Exporting" bug today and was absolutely gobsmacked that something SO OBVIOUS was not found in user testing. Surely this would have been found if anyone had actually simulated how people would be using Fireworks in a production environment.... pretty disgraceful Adobe!

I've also had major stability issues with the app in general, it has crashed twice today - first time when I was naming a slice (!!!), second time after exporting some slices (with a few other tabs open). Again I would think these ones would have been caught.

After having to use Photoshop CS4 in the last few days too, I can safely guess that a lot more QA resources must have been sent its way, because it has been solid!

One other thing I've noticed on my G5 mac is that Fireworks CS4 uses about 20% of my CPU just sitting in the background, while Photoshop CS4 sits on about 2%.

Fireworks CS4 desperately needs to be patched, and quickly!
            • 4. Re: FW CS4 Major Bugs I've Encountered So Far
              Level 7

Tim, can you add these to a bug request on Adobe's site? This is a user
              to user forum so it is not tracked the same way as bug reports are on
              the wish list.

--
              Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
              http://www.communityMX.com/
              CommunityMX - Free Resources:
              http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
              ---
              .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
              Adobe Community Expert
              http://tinyurl.com/2a7dyp
              ---
              .:Author:.
              Lynda.com - http://movielibrary.lynda.com/authors/author/?aid=188
              Peachpit Press -
              http://www.peachpit.com/authors/bio.aspx?a=d98ed798-5ef0-45a8-a70d-4b35fa14c9a4
              Layers Magazine - http://www.layersmagazine.com/author/jim-babbage
              • 5. Re: FW CS4 Major Bugs I've Encountered So Far
                ArunKaza Adobe Employee
                Hi Tim,

The visibility of 1px lines sometimes on punching 2 vectors is because of the differences in the vector rendering engines used in FWCS3 and FWCS4.
                While the vector rendering engine in CS4 was improved to be more faster and produce smoother antialiased vectors, subtle differences do exist between these engines.

The good news is that you can use the older engine selectively on a vector if you wish to, using the command Use_FWCS3_Vector_Rendering_For_Selection. This marks the selected vector to switch to using the older rendering engine.

Any vector brought into CS4 which was created in CS3 or earlier version of Fireworks, would still continue to use the older vector rendering engine to give the exact pixels. These can also be forced to use newer vector engine by using the script command Use_FWCS4_Vector_Rendering_For_Selection.

Since these commands act on the selected objects, please be sure to select only those that need to be effected.
                For ease, I have attached these 2 command .jsf files that can be placed at below mentioned locations and used to switch b/w FWCS3 and FWCS4 rendering.

Windows: "[C:]\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS4\Configuration\Commands\"
                Mac: "/Applications/Adobe Fireworks CS4/Configuration/Commands/"

--Arun

quote:

Originally posted by: Tim Shundo
                New Vector Engine
                • Combining Paths - produces graphic anomalies/bleeding. Go "punch" a box into another. A 1px line is formed when there shouldn't be anything at all.

Use_FWCS3_Vector_Rendering_For_Selection Use_FWCS4_Vector_Rendering_For_Selection
                • 6. Re: FW CS4 Major Bugs I've Encountered So Far
                  ArunKaza Adobe Employee
                  Hi Tim,

Please find my questions and comments inline below.

quote:

• Crazy Selection Boxes - The text remains in it's set place but the selection box that should be surrounding it is located elsewhere on the page.

We are actively working on this and evaluating all possible scenarios where in this issue is encountered

quote:

• Convert Text to Paths - Converting text to paths outputs something unrecognizable, especially fonts under 12pt/px.

Again, because of the difference in the rendering engines, in some particular cases we can see that it is looking a bit different when converted to paths. We have definately made a note of it to take action.

quote:

• Auto Kern - Does nothing?

I can see that Auto kerning is working on my text elements here. When is it that you are seeing its not working at all?

quote:

• Text Editor - Removed... but not?

We have removed the seperate Text editor dialog completely in CS4 now, which was present in Text-->Editor menu in CS3.

--Arun

• 7. Re: FW CS4 Major Bugs I've Encountered So Far
                    lengine
                    Another BUG with disjointed rollovers and buttons

I have a single hotspot [target] and 10 buttons [triggers]. Each button creates a different message in the target. half work, and the other half don't! if I use standard hotspots as triggers (not buttons), then fine.
                    To start with none of my buttons worked, but managed a 'work-a-round' To get some of the buttons to work, I selected target:none and ticked "show down state on load"... now for the weird bit? undo those last 2 steps and then all works!??!?!??! However not for all the buttons.
                    This is so frustrating, as I've wasted half a day trying to resolve it. I have now resorted back to Macromedia MX2004 to get the job done :(
                    • 8. FW CS4 Major Bugs I've Encountered So Far
                      Tim Shundo Level 1
                      That works, but it's really just a quick fix. I find myself selecting all of the objects on the page before I save and switch them over to the cs3 engine. That has to mean something to you guys.

In all, the new engine just isn't very good. Things appear bolder than before. All that was wrong with the old engine is that you would occasionally get 1 or 2 little rogue pixels when you drew paths with tight corners around 1 or 2°.

quote:

Originally posted by: ArunKaza
                      Hi Tim,

The visibility of 1px lines sometimes on punching 2 vectors is because of the differences in the vector rendering engines used in FWCS3 and FWCS4.
                      While the vector rendering engine in CS4 was improved to be more faster and produce smoother antialiased vectors, subtle differences do exist between these engines.

The good news is that you can use the older engine selectively on a vector if you wish to, using the command Use_FWCS3_Vector_Rendering_For_Selection. This marks the selected vector to switch to using the older rendering engine.

Any vector brought into CS4 which was created in CS3 or earlier version of Fireworks, would still continue to use the older vector rendering engine to give the exact pixels. These can also be forced to use newer vector engine by using the script command Use_FWCS4_Vector_Rendering_For_Selection.

Since these commands act on the selected objects, please be sure to select only those that need to be effected.
                      For ease, I have attached these 2 command .jsf files that can be placed at below mentioned locations and used to switch b/w FWCS3 and FWCS4 rendering.

Windows: "[C:]\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS4\Configuration\Commands\"
                      Mac: "/Applications/Adobe Fireworks CS4/Configuration/Commands/"

--Arun

quote:

Originally posted by: Tim Shundo
                      New Vector Engine

Use_FWCS3_Vector_Rendering_For_Selection Use_FWCS4_Vector_Rendering_For_Selection