• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indesign cc 2015 deleting a color causes text to reflow

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2017 Mar 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a color is deleted and replaced with another color, it causes the text to rewrap. No "paragraph shading" was used. Why is this happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the text was created in a former version it keeps as it is until any change to the text has been done.

Causes are an improved text engine, or another dictionary in the preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand - -the text is re-ragging due to "improved" text engine or another dictionary in the prefs? We won't be able to delete unused colors in any legacy documents now without text re-ragging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Robert—the original poster—did not tell if the text was colored with the color that was replaced.
I assume, that yes. That would mean that at least one value of one applied property of text has changed. And that could enforce a redraw using the current engine behind the paragraph composer feature.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe  - -

The text was not colored with the color swatch that was being deleted. The color swatch that was in the doc is a spot color that is used to indicate that the file is a Draft. The word "DRAFT" appears on the file in the spot color. Once the file goes to mechanical prep the word "DRAFT" is removed, as is the spot color. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason why this should be happening. We have not experienced this issue previously. Even if the text had been spec-ed w/this color - -changing text color has never, and should never, result in re-ragging. If this is supposed to be an improvement then Adobe needs to go back to the drawing board and try again. This is a huuuge problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

hm…

Maybe in your case it would help to set the word "DRAFT" on a separate layer and turn off the visibility of the layer or change it to "non-printing"?

I can remember a case where changing the color value of a swatch was enforcing a redraw of the composition. From a "marker color" like a red RGB to "Black". But I'm not sure if that document was a legacy one from an older InDesign version…

Your case is new to me. Thank you for reporting this.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a big fan of leaving unused spot colors in docs- -nor- -changing layers to non-printing when releasing files. I know - - it should be OK, but I have experienced printer's turning on 'non-printing' layers. Once burned twice shy. Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the original poster and I have an update. The text does not rewrap when the color is deleted in CC 2018. However, when the file is saved as an IDML and reopened in 2015, the text rewraps as before. The obvious solution would be to work in 2018, but for reasons too complicated to detail here, our agency needs to work in CC 2015. Has the type engine been "improved" in 2015 and then "unimproved" in 2018? I would live to know the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The type engines can change from one version to the next. If you’re having issues in CC2015 you’re going have to learn to live with them. They won’t be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines