3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 8:02 AM by Mylenium

Animate a wheel made with perspective grid in Illustrator

rgdgaGdgdgagd

Hello,

so I have a problem with animating a wheel in After Effects. I build a forklift with the help of the perspective grid in Illustrator. Now I want to take that into After Effects and animate the wheel with rotation keyframes.

Is there a way to do that properly with that combination? Because right now, rotating it around the three axis does not work in the way I need it.

• 1. Re: Animate a wheel made with perspective grid in Illustrator
          A.I.1 Level 3

If it's a 2D layer, just set the rotate property, that's the easiest. If it's a 3D layer, and it's a side view, I think just change the Z rotation property (I haven't tested this with illustrator files though). Also, ensure the anchor point is in the middle of the wheel(s) on their layers..

EDIT: the above assumes the image is of the side view of the truck. If everything is in perspective (and not a flat, side view) it probably won't work using the method I described.

• 2. Re: Animate a wheel made with perspective grid in Illustrator
            davidarbor Adobe Community Professional

@A.I.1 is correct. If you built this in perspective view then as soon as you do anything with your layers that changes the position or rotation that perspective you created in Illustrator will break. You would have to create everything flat and without perspective in Illustrator and then build a 3D scene in Ae if you want to animate. You can then use a 3D camera to move around the scene and set the perspective you want.

• 3. Re: Animate a wheel made with perspective grid in Illustrator
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As the others already said, you wasted your time by doing too much in AI. You have to create everything with effects and layers in AE. The tire treads for instance could be mapped to CC Cylinder and animated whereas the sidewalls would quite likely be simple 3D layers rotating about.

Mylenium