2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2008 11:30 AM by ericbelair

Looking for UI Design Suggestion

ericbelair Level 1
      I am building a UI for a customizable report application. One of the options involves selecting a category for each item in a collection of items. The categories are actually sub-categories. So, my intial plan was to list the items in a DataGrid, using a PopUpMenuButton in an itemEditor. It worked ok, but I had to write custom code to dispatch an item end event, and this was sometimes causing run-time errors.

So, I'm hoping someone out there can give me some ideas. Anything will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Eric.
        • 1. Re: Looking for UI Design Suggestion
          ntsiii Level 3
          Don't use the default editor process. Handle the dataProvider updates yourself.
          Tracy
          • 2. Re: Looking for UI Design Suggestion
            ericbelair Level 1
            That's what I am doing. I am updating the collection in the model of my MVC framework. The first time i select an category, it works fine. The RTE occurs when I try to select a category for another item. the first menu is displayed, but, when I try to view a submenu, the button disappears, the first menu disappears, and when i try to select an item from the submenu, i get this RTE:

Error
            at mx.managers::SystemManager/updateLastActiveForm()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\ framework\src\mx\managers\SystemManager.as:5087]
            at mx.managers::SystemManager/activateForm()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framewor k\src\mx\managers\SystemManager.as:2352]
            at mx.managers::SystemManager/activate()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\sr c\mx\managers\SystemManager.as:2307]
            at mx.managers::FocusManager/showHandler()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\ src\mx\managers\FocusManager.as:1575]
            at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
            at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
            at mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src \mx\core\UIComponent.as:9298]
            at mx.controls::Menu/dispatchEvent()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx \controls\Menu.as:1306]
            at mx.core::UIComponent/setVisible()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx \core\UIComponent.as:1914]
            at mx.core::UIComponent/set visible()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\core\UIComponent.as:188 2]
            at mx.controls::PopUpButton/menuHideHandler()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framewo rk\src\mx\controls\PopUpButton.as:1135]
            at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
            at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
            at mx.core::UIComponent/dispatchEvent()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src \mx\core\UIComponent.as:9298]
            at mx.controls::Menu/dispatchEvent()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx \controls\Menu.as:1306]
            at mx.controls::Menu/hide()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\mx\controls \Menu.as:1550]
            at mx.controls::Menu/ http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::hideAllMenus()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\p rojects\framework\src\mx\controls\Menu.as:2207
            at mx.controls::Menu/mouseUpHandler()[C:\autobuild\3.2.0\frameworks\projects\framework\src\m x\controls\Menu.as:1687]

See my attached code...