Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No audio when importing MP4 from Canon 5D Mark IV

Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recorded an interview with a Mark IV, using he MP4 settings in the camera, FHD 29.97p IPB.

The file will play nicely in a VLC player.

When I import the file into Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 (11.0.0 154) and I put it in the timeline, there us no audio. I can see the graph of the audio in the track, but I cannot hear it. I even see the dB moving if I play the video, but I cannot hear it.

I initially tried to change the settings of the Audio Hardware in Preferences... without success. Finally, I have realized this has to do with the Editing Mode in Sequence Settings. Both Canon options do not work. With DNxHR 2k and DNxHR 4k I can hear the audio, but it is not the right Frame Size (I need 1920x1080).

Am I missing something?

Is this a bug from Adobe?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about giving us a screen-grab of the Sequence Settings dialog, and another of your Audio hardware preferences. You can drag/drop a png file onto your reply, or use the flower icon in the formatting bar at the top of the reply box to navigate to and select a file.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Please find attached the settings that I am using now, the only settings that make the audio work for me. DNcHR 2K is a bit wider than 1920, which forces me to have to scale the video 10% or so in order to be able to remove the black bars from the screen. I have my headphones connected to the jack. If I open another project, I hear the audio fine. The only problem I have is with the new MP4 from Canon.

Kind Regards.

Robert

Screen1.JPG

Screen2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your 2k codec works you could manually change the pixel size to HD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try this workflow -

• Copy ENTIRE contents of SD card to a new folder on your hard drive. Copy ALL folders, not just the video clips
  • In Premiere, Import using Media Browser (tab at lower left of screen usually).
  • Right-click an imported clip in Project Bin and select New Timeline from Clip to get the most appropriate Sequence Settings

This method will use metadata in file structure to better help Premiere interpret the type of footage it is working with and often solves the audio issue. Also seamlessly joins spanned clips (long recordings).

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, when I select New Timeline from Clip, I don't hear the audio. The system sets the Editing Mode to Arri Cinema (don't know why), and as I said, the only one that works is DNcHR 2K or 4k.

Regarding the other points:

- In Premiere, Import using Media Browser (tab at lower left of screen usually).

R: I do this already.

- Copy ENTIRE contents of SD card to a new folder on your hard drive. Copy ALL folders, not just the video clips.

R: I initially copied the clips. Then I tried to see if there where some hidden files, so I enabled hidden files in Windows. There are none. I just copied the clips I needed because there are 250 GB of clips. I could easily replicate the structure of folders, but I am not sure if it will matter if there are no other hidden files with some metadata. I had copied all contents with other cameras before, but there were some metadata files to be imported too. Does the Mark IV have any hidden settings to make those metadata files?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure how you have 250GB of clips - is that from multiple cards then?

As for ARRI preset, what Premiere does is it simply find the FIRST Sequence Setting in the list that matches your footage, so ARRI comes first in the alphabet. You will likely find AVCHD and DSLR presets that also exactly match the footage, doesn't matter which you use. What you want is to match these parameters:

• Frame Size
  • Frame Rate
  • Fields
  • Pixel Aspect

AUDIO - the difference I see with the DNxHD sequence versus ARRI is that the DNxHD includes several mono tracks. I don't know how your camera does audio, maybe you need to Interpret the audio after importing and before putting clips on timeline?

I use a Sony X70 camera recording XAVC and it records stereo audio. However, when I import the .mxf video clip it shows up in the timeline with 4 mono tracks which makes no sense since the camera cannot record 4 audio tracks anyway! So in Project Bin, I interpret the audio down to a single stereo track, then put on timeline and all is well. So maybe it is something like that?

Back to Media Browser, it's good that you are using it, however without the entire folder structure, you could still be losing the benefit of using that method.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is 250GB because I am using a CF card, which is almost full.

As soon as I touch the Frame Size, I stop hearing the audio. The other parameters seem fine.

The files come out with one stereo track. I have tried now interpreting in different ways (e.g. mono...), but the same happens. I don't hear audio.

Thanks for your comments anyway, I will keep scaling the clips until I find a better solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going out on a limb here, but any chance there is a phase-inversion happening, meaning the audio is there but you can't hear it because the L channel cancels out the R? Just thought of this because you said the meters are moving in Premiere, but you can't hear the sound. What if you listen with headphones rather than speakers, so the two ears are isolated from one another?

I've seen many posts regarding edited and exported video that is silent when played on cell phones, and it is due to incorrectly wired mic for...interviews. Maybe something like that happening?

EDIT: If you have a stereo track in Premiere, drop the FILL LEFT or FILL RIGHT effect onto it, what happens? That would fix a phase inversion

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working. If I change some settings then I don't hear the audio. I need to select one Editing Mode from the dropdown and leave it with the settings it comes from. Otherwise I stop hearing the audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim, thanks a lot for the post, it has solved my issue!!!

I had tried A, B, C, D, E, and then I read your post and tried F also. Nice!!! Done!!! Now when I change the frame size I can hear the audio in many Editing Modes!!! No scaling anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines