• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add flat graphic to 3D shape then remove shape?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to be able to add a flat graphic round a 3D shape eg a sphere or cylinder, to make it 3 dimensional, and after manipulating the viewpoint, remove the underlying 3D shape to just leave me with the 3D-ised graphic on a transparent background. 

All the tutorials I find seem to be about wrapping graphics round shapes, with the underlying shape always remaining, or are about creating shapes using extrution etc.  Am i missing something or is this just not possible in Photoshop CC?

thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Hi

JJMack is spot on.

You don't take the shape away - otherwise you have no 3D mesh. You do make the surface transparent using Opacity.

In Properties click on the folder next to opacity and then New Texture.

Where you make the texture black , it will be transparent and white will be opaque (Those fine lines are the UV mapping)

Above opacity map applied to a sphere

Hope that helps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean like removing the water from planet Earth? Try using opacity and bump maps. Shapes like Earth land masses and or oceans, seas, lakes etc.. Black/White and Grayscale maps. I added a black background. It could easily be transparent or the Milkey Way

Insidelight360.gif

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

JJMack is spot on.

You don't take the shape away - otherwise you have no 3D mesh. You do make the surface transparent using Opacity.

In Properties click on the folder next to opacity and then New Texture.

Where you make the texture black , it will be transparent and white will be opaque (Those fine lines are the UV mapping)

Above opacity map applied to a sphere

Hope that helps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines