• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

EDITING SEVERAL VIDEOS?

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several videos that I plan to join but some need editing.   Which is better?

1.  To edit each one, then join them?

2.  To join them, then edit the ones that need editing in that string of videos?

Thanks,

Ernie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ernie,

The conventional way to make a video or movie is to assemble all the parts in one project, do the editing on the parts as necessary and then output a final version. 

That said, you may have a meaning for "join" that I don't understand.

Good luck with your project.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill:

When I mean join, I mean connect one video to another chronologically ordered. I just wondered if it was easier to edit those videos that needed editing before ganging, connecting, joining them together.

Thanks,

Ernie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ernie,

I'm having a vocabulary challenge.  "Join" is not a video editing word.  Unless you have something I've never heard of, you can't join video files. 

The original files or "clips" are put somewhere in the computer.  The video editor software (Non Linear Editor or "NLE") references those files in a "project" you create.  When your editing work is done, final products are "rendered".  That means the NLE looks at what you've done in the project, re-reads the sources and makes an entirely new file with all the parts in it.   The source files are never "joined".Several "final" products may be created for formats ranging from large TV screens to YouTube. 

Putting the pieces together in chronological order is done on the editing "timeline" in the NLE.  

What the "videos I plan to join" ?  How many are there?  Where did they come from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whsprague  wrote

What the "videos I plan to join" ?  How many are there?  Where did they come from?

...and how long (minutes:seconds) are they?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

My son and my nephew and I recently, collectively took 145 video clips in New Orleans with our smart phones and I am tasked with making them into one big video.

Any thoughts you may have in the steps and process of doing this with Premiere Elements 15 will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ernie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ernie,

I sense you have not done video editing before.  Although I no enjoy it a lot, I didn't find learning it to be intuitive.   So for a start, I would suggest you invest about an hour in watching an 8 part series on YouTube starting with this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xow2kWzMIPA&t=182s

Once you get the basics, the likely procedure would be to assemble copies of the clips in a folder.  Then use what you learn in the 8 part course to assemble them in Premier Elements.  When you like how the preview looks, output or "render" a final.

I don't know how the iPhone works.  It could be that the files are named sequentially and that will make sorting easy.   If not, there will be some work involved in sliding the various pieces into order. 

Good luck with your project!  It should be fun!

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bill:

Yea, although I did manage to join some trip videos together a few years back, that software did not have the editing feature (lighting, contrast etc.) in the same package with a video clip moving feature. So, I’m still a neophyte at this. And since I don’t do this for a living and do it so seldomly, what I’ve learned fades with time.

I do appreciate your feedback and thank you very much for it! Now, to get to that YouTube link!

Regards,

Ernie Kidhardt

Duluth, GA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines