3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2017 1:38 AM by D Fosse

Should flattened Photoshop documents still maintain Transparency in InDesign?

scottyb34 Level 1

Greetings forum,

My flattened Photoshop documents still maintain Transparency when placed into InDesign. Is this OK in terms of printing? I thought once the photoshop documents were flattened, so too was the transparency. Will this present a problem when exporting a PDF for Print? Or does the PDF Presets take care of the transparency?

Once again, dazed and confused.

Thanks in advance, Scott

• 1. Re: Should flattened Photoshop documents still maintain Transparency in InDesign?
          D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A flattened Photoshop file does not have transparency, period.

Obvious question - have you relinked? Any change to the file and the link must be updated. A low res preview will remain, and if ID is set to standard display quality you might not notice that.

Turn on Overprint Preview. It's normally off for performance reasons.

PDF settings either allow transparency or not, but do not determine anything on their own.

Other than that, perhaps you should ask in the ID forum.

• 2. Re: Should flattened Photoshop documents still maintain Transparency in InDesign?
            scottyb34 Level 1

Hi D Fosse -

I did re-link. I even started all over, re-flattened the images in photoshop, re-placed them into InDesign, but in the Links panel at the very bottom it continues to say "transparency- yes." It didn't do this in my prior test runs, i.e. it said in the Links panel "transparency - no." Which seemed right. But now no matter what I've tried, it keeps showing in the Links panel that the image has transparency. I'm stumped. Per your advice I also asked this question in the InDesign forum, but all I received so far is to export using PDF/X-4. But that still doesn't answer the question of why InDesign (or Photoshop) is showing that the images have transparency. Any other thoughts? I'll check back after getting some sleep. Hopefully the answer will be a simple oversight on my part.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

• 3. Re: Should flattened Photoshop documents still maintain Transparency in InDesign?
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Huh. I just tried reducing opacity for a placed file in ID, and the links panel still reports Transparency: No.

So it clearly refers to the file itself, and if it says "yes", that means the PSD itself must contain transparency. But it can't if it's flattened.

Can you try with entirely new files, prepared as flat files to begin with? Or even jpegs, which don't support transparency under any circumstances?

It might be time to reset ID preferences if this continues. Transparency is one of the tricky things when you export to pdf, and where glitches most often occur. You want to have all your ducks nicely lined up here.

1 person found this helpful