• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjustment Layers in Diptychs/Triptychs?

Participant ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a triptych with PS CC 2017 with 3 similar pics. I want to alter the color/tonal characteristics for each pic so there is some variation and character to the composition as a whole.

Whenever I apply a HSL adjustment layer to colorize, then adjust colors, it effects all layers beneath. Naturally, this is how things are supposed to work. However,  I was hoping some setting existed to restrict the adjustment layer just to one specific layer, not all below.  Is there such a layer-by-layer setting?

If not, do I need to perform all color adjustments independently and prior to compositing? Seems like a lot of work for either color-matching purposes or those like mine where variation is desired.

Suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

I feel like I am missing something here, because it seems too obvious to suggest use the adjustment layer's layer mask.  Or place the adjustment layer above the image to be changed and clip it.  The example below takes a belt and braces approach using both  the layer mask, and clipping (the icon highlighted in red).

So am I missing something?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I am missing something here, because it seems too obvious to suggest use the adjustment layer's layer mask.  Or place the adjustment layer above the image to be changed and clip it.  The example below takes a belt and braces approach using both  the layer mask, and clipping (the icon highlighted in red).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Repeat to the other layers !!

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was missing it. I am comfortable with basic adjustments to my images and blending textured layers, just never tried independent images in a composite until now. My knowledge and experience with masking is limited, but growing.

The very fine tutorials on Lynda, Adobe and elsewhere present how to assemble diptychs, triptychs, etc, but layer-by-layer adjustments are not readily apparent, if at all. But, that's where creative possibilies enter.

In any event, your illustration enabled me to see the relationship of things. I tinkered with my piece until my layer functions mimicked yours... using Create Clipping Masks did the trick. Thanks for the helpful illustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines