29 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2017 7:28 PM by JimHess

Corrupted CR2 files?

Squidy666 Level 1

Hi all,

I have a problem I need some help with. I’ve got a few years worth of photos on a server and they’ve been fine (and the previews display fine on the server). However now when I view them in LR they randomly corrupt. It could be minutes later, it could be hours later, it can even be days later. They’ll just go corrupted and I can’t view them properly.

I can export them fine, before they corrupt, and they look fine. Then export them later, after they corrupt, and they look corrupt.

I’ll delete and reimport them and it will then show different photos as being corrupt. Today I went out and bought an entirely brand new system and get the same issue. None of the hardware is the same but it still shows up as some corrupting.

My system is

Windows 10 x64

Creative Cloud, all latest versions

Gigabyte 1080

i7 processor

32gb Corsair Ram

4TB WD Black drive

512gb Samsung PRO drive

None of my system is overclocked or overheating

However it still randomly corrupts my files. I’ve read somewhere people say it’s a hardware problem, and sometimes a card reader problem, but every backup of these photos I have corrupts at some point and it appears to be at random.

I’ve noticed something though, if I view them in Windows etc they never corrupt, they ONLY start corrupting when I bring them back into Lightroom. Does anyone know what else I can try?

I don’t have any AV software as I wanted to make sure it wasn’t AV interfering with the file.