• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change default location for presets?

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got CC2017 installed on my fast SSD system drive, but I don't have much spare room left on it. Is there any way to move the default location for the preset folder(s) to my big storage drive and have things looked for there by default?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Items you create like custom brushes, swatches, etc. can be stored in whatever folder you designate.

You would load them using the panel menu.

However there is no way to change the default location in PS.

If you create a preset, you would have to save it to your personal folder location.

Other presets like Tools, Render Settings, Image Size, etc. should stay in the Application folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. You posted your question in the non-technical Lounge forum, which is where you can connect with your peers for conversations that don't directly relate to product help and support.

Let us know what application you are asking about (for example, Photoshop, Premiere, Captivate), and we’ll move your question to the appropriate forum so that you can get the answer you are looking for.

~Barb

P.S. For a list of all available product forums, see https://forums.adobe.com/welcome/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Primarily Photoshop, but I've got a fair amount of Illustrator files too. Appreciate the help. Thanks

[Mod note: moving this thread to the Photoshop forum for now]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All related system assets (including presets) for Photoshop have to be stored on the same HD as the application.

I would recommend moving files and folders to your storage drive and keep your applications only on the SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit confused. I keep my project files on the storage drives, but I'm talking about things like patterns, brushes, materials, shapes and the like. It doesn't take long for image heavy fancy presets to clog up the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Items you create like custom brushes, swatches, etc. can be stored in whatever folder you designate.

You would load them using the panel menu.

However there is no way to change the default location in PS.

If you create a preset, you would have to save it to your personal folder location.

Other presets like Tools, Render Settings, Image Size, etc. should stay in the Application folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The number of answers marked "correct" on this forum is so frustrating, and the "answers" aren't always wrong just because the posts are old and things have changed.  Even when this thread was referencing the newest version of Adobe, there was still a way to make this happen.  It is different for Mac and Windows, and, because it involves system code, a little trickier than just changing the default location from within the Adobe program (wich SHOULD be an option), but you would set the existing Adobe defaults folder (here's one, but Adobe ridiculously spreads various settings over multiple locations- C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\14.0\Profile-[user name]\Settings\Custom) to redirect to a folder of your choosing (the best option is a folder that is synced between multiple computers from which the user access and utilizes Adobe Cloud).  This way, no matter which computer you are working from, your presets, etc. will be saved to a synced folder that is accessed no matter which computer you are using.  Adobe has tried to implement their own version of this idea by implementing "Sync Settings" in the "File" drop down menu, but in my experience the functcionality and success of this new "feature" has been abysmal at best.

Why Adobe won't simply put ALL presets and settings in the same location (NOT multiple, often hidden, locations) with an easy way to change the location from WITHIN the Adobe Cloud panel is beyond me.  I can't believe they don't understand that people these days work from multiple computers, so they must just not care about making things easier for the people paying for their software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines