4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2008 1:13 PM by getjams

Air apps not working on Vista 64 bit since 1.5

getjams
      The Adobe Air 1.5 update went fine on my Vista 64 bit system, both apps (Thwirl and Spaz) worked fine. Then both apps released an update and they crash when attempting to update. Download manually the .air file and it can't find the software to open the file and will not install. Uninstall Air, reinstall Air. Go to Adobe's Air site and try to install any Air app, not a single one will install. Air shows up in Add/Remove Programs but now I cannot use a single Air application. Have installed (as administrator) and unstalled Air a few times, same result. The result I get when I try to install something from the Adobe site:
      "Something went wrong trying to install this application. Please install the latest version of Adobe Air"
        • 1. Re: Air apps not working on Vista 64 bit since 1.5
          tzeng Adobe Employee
          Could you get the installation log and post here?

To get the log, create a file named .airappinstall.log file in your home directory.

Thanks,

-ted
          • 2. Re: Air apps not working on Vista 64 bit since 1.5
            getjams Level 1
            Unfortunately I can only generate a log for the Air install itself. Once Air 1.5 is installed and I try to install any Air Application, it fails immediately with the error message in my initial post. I created the .airappinstall.log following the procedures in kb403123 and echo was on when I went to the Thwirl site and clicked "Install Thwirl" and the error message comes up instantly and no data is added to .airappinstall.log. And when I download the .air file manually Windows cannot find Air at all to associate with the .air file. Here is the text from the fresh Air install I performed right before trying to install Thwirl (taken from the .airinstall.log file):

Performing runtime install
            UI SWF load is complete
            UI initialized
            starting user confirmation
            Installation type: new
            starting elevated install
            subinstaller: starting install
            subinstaller: Scheduling runtime installation operations
            subinstaller: uninstall scheduled for 1.0.5, 1.0.4
            subinstaller: Installed Product GUID: is same:false
            subinstaller: Beginning runtime installation
            subinstaller: Beginning install
            subinstaller: Installing c:\users\brian\appdata\local\temp\air3489.tmp\setup.msi
            subinstaller: Execution complete; beginning commit phase
            subinstaller: Commit complete
            subinstaller: install complete
            subinstaller: begin quitting
            Elevated install completed
            begin quitting
            • 3. Air apps not working on Vista 64 bit since 1.5
              tzeng Adobe Employee
              >>1.0.5, 1.0.4
              You have installed Beta 1 and Beta 2 releases before.

Take a look at this discussion:
              http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=75&catid=697&threadid =1406474&enterthread=y

When the AIR file is not associated with an app., you can associate it with "Adobe AIR Application Installer.exe" in /program files/common files/adobe air/Versions/1.0 directory manually.

-ted
              • 4. Re: Air apps not working on Vista 64 bit since 1.5
                getjams Level 1
                Beautiful! That is exactly what I needed. Except in Vista 64 bit, the Adobe Air Application Installer is located in:
                "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0"
                and not the 64 bit app install directory:
                "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0"
                Thanks a ton, I have my Thwirl back!