8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2017 6:33 AM by RjL190365

Does my to-buy pc specs, meet the requirements of 4K editing

F.Pro_

Hello world,

I am willing to buy a Dell workstation containing a Xeon E5-1620v3 and I would like some valid advice (based on usage or past experience) on how well can it handle editing 4K footage combined with an Nvidia Quadro M2000 and 16GB of DDR4 - 2400 MHz of RAM.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Does my to-buy pc specs, meet the requirements of 4K editing
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Moved to the Hardware Forum.

• 2. Re: Does my to-buy pc specs, meet the requirements of 4K editing
            Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will want at least 32 GB RAM.

• 3. Re: Does my to-buy pc specs, meet the requirements of 4K editing
              RjL190365 Level 4

You may have serious trouble working with 4K material on that Dell because both the CPU and GPU are too weak (in addition to the relatively low amount of RAM included in that system). That E5-1620 v3 has only four cores and eight threads. This, combined with the relatively low maximum turbo-boosted clock speed of only 3.6 GHz even with only a single core in use, actually make that CPU slower than even the cheaper i7-4790 (with or without the K), let alone the i7-6700 and i7-7700 (both with or without the K). Worse, that E5-1620 v3 uses the higher-end Socket LGA 2011 v3 - a socket that's designed for the more expensive CPUs with as many as 14 cores and 28 threads. As such, the performance of that E5-1620 v3 does not justify the expense of the higher-end socket to begin with.

And the Quadro M2000 is virtually equal in performance to that of the much cheaper GeForce GTX 950 that it's based on.

The overall result is that (using automobiles as an analogy) you'd end up running a Chevy Corvette with only a four-cylinder engine that were pulled from a previous-generation Chevy Malibu from prior to the 2016 model year, with older Malibu-spec brakes and tires thrown in to boot. Don't get me wrong; I am knocking neither the E5 series nor the Quadro series per se. Both have their uses. It's just that neither one of the particular components in question distinguishes itself enough from its much cheaper consumer counterpart to justify its price.

• 4. Re: Does my to-buy pc specs, meet the requirements of 4K editing
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How much would that cost?  Just so we know your ballpark pricing for better suggestions for you.  I tried to find a Dell with those specifications (found the Dell Precision Tower 5810 with that processor but M2000 was not listed for that model)

• 5. Re: Does my to-buy pc specs, meet the requirements of 4K editing
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

I found the CPU/GPU/RAM combo in that Precision 5810 of which the OP was looking for. This would have to be custom-configured. The least expensive configuration with that same CPU and GPU and the same amount of RAM as what the OP specified would cost $1,980.77 USD plus the cost of any upgraded disk(s). And that still would leave the OP with an expensive system that actually underperforms a custom build with "lesser"-grade components that totals half that much money to purchase. (I'm talking about my mini-ITX bread box PC, which is now equipped with an i7-7700 CPU, a GeForce GTX 1060 with 6 GB of VRAM, 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM and two 512 GB SATA III Samsung 850 EVO SSDs, as an example of such a higher performance and more cost effective PC build.)

Randall

• 6. Re: Does my to-buy pc specs, meet the requirements of 4K editing
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thank you Randall.  Of course I agree completely.  Send me the PPBM scores if you have time that is a great configuration.

• 7. Re: Does my to-buy pc specs, meet the requirements of 4K editing
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

You can find the system's PPBM results in the following thread that I started nearly a week ago:

My 2017 hardware refresh or upgrade question

Keep in mind that the cooling performance is limited by the lousy stock Intel boxed CPU cooler that comes only with the non-K LGA 1151 CPUs, as well as by the single low-speed 120mm fan that comes in my Fractal Design Core 500 case. Upgrades to one or both of them may be needed.

Randall

• 8. Re: Does my to-buy pc specs, meet the requirements of 4K editing
                        RjL190365 Level 4

For the record, I retested my mini PC, and this is my best score as far as the CPU-intensive MPEG-2 DVD performance is concerned:

R2.png

Those were excellent results for a PC with a non-overclocked (but default Turbo'd) 4-core, 8-thread CPU.

By the way, I did not originally build this mini PC this way. When I first acquired the parts and built this PC, it had only an i3-6100 CPU and a GeForce GTX 960 with 2GB of VRAM (all other parts remained the same as the current configuration). Over the course of nearly a year, I upgraded the CPU to an i5-6500, then the GPU to a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, then finally the CPU again to its current i7-7700 (non-K).