• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High CPU + massive lag issues

Contributor ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been really having a hard time with this.  Got to the point where I had the local mac store run 48hrs of test on the hardware because I thought it was a core/hardware issue.  Everything checks out (ram too).

imac mid 2015 3.3ghz i5 32gb ram

radeon r9 m290 2048mb  (gpu turned off)

no 3-rd party anything loaded

osx 10.11.6

Any use of LR spikes my cpu usage over 300% and adjustments are super laggy.  Meanwhile my mid 2012 mbp i7 with 16gb ram crushes.

Have expanded my cache to 10gb, optimized catalogue.

Saw others have posted but it's to the point where I need extra help.

Much thanks for the time!

Aaron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Any use of LR spikes my cpu usage over 300%

That is normal and desirable. Non-destructive raw processing is CPU intensive, and Adobe has worked hard to utilize multiple processors during interactive editing.

What is not normal or desirable is the lagginess that some people experience.  My only additional comment on that is to find the relevant topic in the official Adobe feedback forum and add details of your issue and your me-too vote: Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community .

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One reason this can happen is that you are doing a lot of spot healing and/or a lot of brushing on each photo. This is a known deficiency in the design of Lightroom, and will cause this type of lag, especially if you have a 4K or larger monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happens regardless of spot healing or not.  After a fresh restart of both the comp and the program.  Definitely gets crazy bad with the spot healing but exists without it.  Thank you for the quick response and crazy that they know about this but havent fixed yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a 4K or larger monitor? How large are your original photos in megapixels? (Do not tell me megabytes)

Large monitors and large original photos will lead to a certain amount of slowness, depending on your CPU and other hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, mid 2015 5k retina.

Shooting d800...36mp.

Again, this lag/cpu performance is not an issue with the same files on my mid-2012 mbp.  Just the newer imac.  Same files/settings etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5K monitor plus 36 megapixel photos is a known situation where Lightroom can be slow with certain hardware. This combination of 5K monitor and 36 mp photos requires a lot of calculations to be performed, causing high CPU utilization. Brushing and spot healing make the situation worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesnt that seem crazy and unacceptable?  The 5k imacs have been out for a while now and to have so many photographers shooting in the 36mp range and not be able to have a working comp is insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any use of LR spikes my cpu usage over 300%

That is normal and desirable. Non-destructive raw processing is CPU intensive, and Adobe has worked hard to utilize multiple processors during interactive editing.

What is not normal or desirable is the lagginess that some people experience.  My only additional comment on that is to find the relevant topic in the official Adobe feedback forum and add details of your issue and your me-too vote: Photoshop Lightroom | Photoshop Family Customer Community . This forum is primarily a user-to-user forum in which Adobe product developers are rarely seen; but they actively participate in the feedback forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update...lag issues have gotten worse. 

Even with changing screen resolution to 2048x1152.  GPU is turned off.  All updated osx and adobe products.

Not pleased 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution to this?

I have an 8 month old 15'' MBP 16GB RAM i7 2.2GHz. I did some spot healing on a photo and now lightroom actually quits on it's own and when it doesn't, it says lightroom is not responding. I am unsure whether this is a hardware issue as the fans go crazy and the colour wheel spins for ages, but only when using lightroom! I am shooting in RAW with 24mp. It got to the point where I actually avoid editing images and i bought the MBP and lightroom for that reason alone! I get most of the problems with spot healing and the brush tool also, the CPU goes to around 350 and idles at around 1 on an unedited image and 200-300 on a heavily edited image. Whatever the problem is, the fact that it works well on some macs and not on others is an insult when spending so much money!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Been no solution.  I have been having decent performance on my mid 2012 mbp 2.7 i7.  Has always performed as good or better than any desktop.  Just switched to the late 2015 i7 imac and it's doing better than the i5 that started this tread.  Still...there should be 0 performance issues on any of these machines.  Theyre all fast enough to handle anything.  I kept using CC vs classic on my machine.  Can always convert the catalogue later IF they figure out the issue.     However I'd recommend looking at Capture 1. Bunch of friends are very impressed with the results.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines