• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

~1000 similar portrait images into one "average" face. How?

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. I had an idea of combining a large bunch of portrait images (all with same crop, pretty similar lighting etc) into one average face. I know how I would do it with a couple of images, but the thing here is the large amount. Any ideas how that could be done? Some kind of automated process would be necessary I think, but I couldn't come up with a good solution. I'd appreciate any ideas, thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Apr 04, 2017 Apr 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to build a single face by a 1000 faces? Or you have a 1000 portraits of a single person and trying to make something like this?

transgender-man-takes-a-selfie-every-day-for-three-years-to-document-transition-gif.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying! The idea was to create a single blended face by 1000 faces of different people as a still image. The main thought behind it being "how would an average (in all aspects) member of the group of those 1000 people look like". So not exactly like the gif above, although it's pretty cool as well. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bahaar Khan wrote

Are you trying to build a single face by a 1000 faces? Or you have a 1000 portraits of a single person and trying to make something like this?

Wow, so cool it turned to ice right in front of me Ice.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis​ Hehe! This is funny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an interesting link to see how it would look like:

Face Research ⇒ Demos ⇒ Make An Average

If there is enough photos, I'd try some stacking process (with median stack).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is average female and male faces:

Näyttökuva 2017-04-11 kello 13.52.19.jpgNäyttökuva 2017-04-11 kello 13.52.29.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Very interesting site, I took a look at it and that is exactly what I'm trying to accomplish with my photos. I'll have to try blending faces through that site.

Also I'd be interested in doing this in Photoshop as well, since it would of course offer a bit more options in terms of image formats, post processing possibilities etc. Could you explain a little bit more what you meant by trying a stacking process with median stack? How would it go in Photoshop if explaining the main steps in a nutshell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at this:

Image stacks in Adobe Photoshop

I'm not sure if this is going to work, but I would start with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, great information! I first batch resized every picture to the same dimensions (made them quite small, as calculating takes quite a lot of time)  and then tried the method you suggested. It kind of works, although the result is quite blurry. I'm wondering whether it's the result of slight variation between alignment of faces in the pictures, or the stacking modes or something else. Nevertheless, interesting results. Here are 1022 portraits blended together, and within the group of people there are people of ages between about 18-65 from both genders.

I'm wondering if there would be ways of improving and getting a bit more definition to the picture, or if it's impossible. What do you think? Anyway, great advices so far!

naamat1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that alignment is important to get eyes, nose and mouth aligned properly. Did you try auto align layers? This is something that I've been also thinking sometimes but never did it. So your results are interesting. You also could try different stacking modes. This really is something I am not very familiar with. If I had suitable collection of faces, I could try different solutions.

Off topic: Are you a finn? Your nickname sounds like it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that's what I was mainly suspecting too. I didn't use auto align, mut I'm trying that at the moment. Processing stacking with alignment seems to take a loooong time though. If it doesn't work, I guess I have no choice but to try and align every single image in the stack by hand, hehe.. The median stacking mode seems to be working clearly in the best way, so I suppose the alignment is the key to getting more success out of this.

Otherwise I'd be happy to send a collection of these portraits for you to fiddle around with, but unfortunately they are confidential material from the company where I'm working at..

Oh and yes, I'm a Finn! How did you guess, you also from around here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess that Finn knows a Finn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines