12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2008 8:01 AM by Ansury

Quiz Builder Application in Flex

rjoshicool Level 2
      I want to create a quiz builder type application in flex in such a
      manner that, the user can specify what will be the questions, the
      answers, how many checkboxes, radio buttons and all..
      Any idea how should i proceed for the same? like some resources or
      tutorials i can follow?
        • 1. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
          Ansury Level 3
          Heh, that's a big question. And potentially alot of work (it can be done) depending on how many specific requirements you have. If the output is a printout or a file, less work, but still not trivial. If the quizzes are integrated with the app itself, more work, but it'd be fun to do.

You probably won't find any major examples of very similar functionality, it's a fairly unique idea I think. So you're probably best off just learning from as many random examples as you can find.

Design your UI and figure out how it'll work before you get into any details. If you 'integrate' the quizzes themselves as screens in the app, you'll most likely have to use actionscript to add children components for each question. (Unless you decide to create some kind of reusable quiz page templates, but this lowers your flexibility on question types. Or you could do one question on the screen at a time... not as cool but alot easier.)

Kind of a cool idea, good luck.
          • 2. Quiz Builder Application in Flex
            Gregory Lafrance Level 6
            I can't provide examples, but only ideas.

You're going to want an "admin" component, which is where users with admin privileges will create quizzes. If they log into the app and have admin privileges, the admin component is available via menu, button, etc.

In the admin component, you offer them choices of what to create, and depending on what they select, the UI may be different, either because a different custom component is displayed, or because a different repeater is executed. You have to figure out how you want that to work.

As they create something, like a quiz, when they are done, save an XML file on the server, which will contain the content (the questions), and metadata for each question and for the quiz in general, such as the question type (true false, multiple choice, essay, etc), links to media files, etc.

Lots of work, but if you create a great system, and can sell it, you can make $100 - $500 million a year eventually, not that I have done so. Selling it is the key. You can have something great, but if you don't build a sales organization, you won't grow the business fast enough to stay ahead of the competition, because once you start making decent cash off it, smart people will try to steal your market share.
            • 3. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
              Level 7

"Ansury" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:ghus0e$226$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Heh, that's a big question. And potentially alot of work (it can be done)
              > depending on how many specific requirements you have. If the output is a
              > printout or a file, less work, but still not trivial. If the quizzes are
              > integrated with the app itself, more work, but it'd be fun to do.
              >
              > You probably won't find any major examples of very similar functionality,
              > it's
              > a fairly unique idea I think. So you're probably best off just learning
              > from
              > as many random examples as you can find.
              >
              > Design your UI and figure out how it'll work before you get into any
              > details.
              > If you 'integrate' the quizzes themselves as screens in the app, you'll
              > most
              > likely have to use actionscript to add children components for each
              > question.
              > (Unless you decide to create some kind of reusable quiz page templates,
              > but
              > this lowers your flexibility on question types. Or you could do one
              > question on
              > the screen at a time... not as cool but alot easier.)

It's not really that unique an idea. There are tons of quiz builders in
              other languages ( http://etudesproject.org/cgi-bin/word2qti/qconverter.cgi),
              but the eLearning community so far hasn't had the skill to go whole hog into
              using Flex. Adobe made lots of encouraging noises about helping us make the
              transition, but as usual there wasn't any follow-through. One of the things
              on my "to-do" list is an eLearning framework for Flex. That's why I work
              really hard to build my skills, because if I'm going to develop a useful
              framework I need to be as good as the engineers at Adobe (actually better,
              because I will likely be alone and I won't have any of the support
              structures and training they've had).

-Amy

• 4. Quiz Builder Application in Flex
                Gregory Lafrance Level 6
                I took an online C++ class at Foothill College and the instructor (Michael Loceff ) was the original creator of the first etudes system.

Creating an eLearning framework is on mu TODO list as well. The problem is that my TODO list is just too long.

An eLearning framework is something you could build and sell locally and make some decent cash. Like a said, if your system was good enough AND you build a great sales and marketing team, that when you could make the big bucks, and sell to the national and international markets.

• 5. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
                  Level 7

"Greg Lafrance" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:ghut01$365$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >I can't provide examples, but only ideas.
                  >
                  > You're going to want an "admin" component, which is where users with admin
                  > privileges will create quizzes. If they log into the app and have admin
                  > privileges, the admin component is available via menu, button, etc.
                  >
                  > In the admin component, you offer them choices of what to create, and
                  > depending on what they select, the UI may be different, either because a
                  > different custom component is displayed, or because a different repeater
                  > is
                  > executed. You have to figure out how you want that to work.
                  >
                  > As they create something, like a quiz, when they are done, save an XML
                  > file on
                  > the server, which will contain the content (the questions), and metadata
                  > for
                  > each question and for the quiz in general, such as the question type (true
                  > false, multiple choice, essay, etc), links to media files, etc.
                  >
                  > Lots of work, but if you create a great system, and can sell it, you can
                  > make
                  > $100 - $500 million a year eventually, not that I have done so.

Er, yeah. Sure ;-).

I've created many such systems (not in Flex, mind you), and somehow that
                  sort of money has never fallen into my lap.

• 6. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
                    Level 7

news:ghuuqj$5dq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    >I took an online class at Foothill College and the instructor was the
                    >original
                    > creator of the first etudes system.
                    >
                    > Creating an eLearning framework is on mu TODO list as well. The problem is
                    > that my TODO list is just too long.

It's the major goal of why I chose to take up Flex, but there is so much I
                    don't know yet. :-)

• 7. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
                      chris.huston.t10 Level 3
                      I have created a full e-learning framework in Flex. There is an administration module and a user module. Administrators can create multiple-choice, short answer, cloze, and essay questions. There is the option to add reading passages to any question type as well as audio, video, or images to the questions. Administrators can choose to create practice drills or graded quizzes with variable weighting per question.There is also the option to have each question on a separate page or to have them grouped on a single page. The questions for the quiz or practice drill are saved on a server in XML format. All the user answers, scores and progress are saved to a MySql database via remoting with PHP. Administrators can give feedback to individual users or groups of users. Because I use this with language learners, I have a bilingual dictionary that generates practice problems in five different formats and keeps track of errors to allow focused practice.

I feel the framework is fairly complete and robust after three years of development. User response has been great from both student users and teacher administrators. I do not have any resources or tutorials, but I can tell you it is possible, though a great deal of work. If you have any specific questions, you can contact me directly and I can go into more detail.

Vygo
                      • 8. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
                        Gregory Lafrance Level 6
                        That's why I suspect the big money goes to those who can sell and market their systems. Those who can win the bigger clients, build the brand and momentum, feed the business with associated offerings while continually improving the product.

Being number 2 or even number 3, 4, 5 in the field might be good if the market supports it, but number 1 usually gets the gold.
                        • 9. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
                          Level 7

news:ghv6me$e6p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > That's why I suspect the big money goes to those who can sell and market
                          > their
                          > systems. Those who can win the bigger clients, build the brand and
                          > momentum,
                          > feed the business with associated offerings while continually improving
                          > the
                          > product.
                          >
                          > Being number 2 or even number 3, 4, 5 in the field might be good if the
                          > market
                          > supports it, but number 1 usually gets the gold.

Yes, and unfortunately it's not usually the best that gets that position,
                          but the loudest ;-)

• 10. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
                            Gregory Lafrance Level 6
                            Yep. Ya gotta be ambitious. Although I don't agree with all of what he says, one book I read recently was Donald Trump's "Think Big and Kick ***". It has some worthwhile thoughts.
                            • 11. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
                              Level 7

"Masamune" <huston@mgu.ac.jp> wrote in message
                              news:ghv36c$a9p$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              >I have created a full e-learning framework in Flex. There is an
                              >administration
                              > module and a user module. Administrators can create multiple-choice, short
                              > answer, cloze, and essay questions. There is the option to add reading
                              > passages
                              > to any question type as well as audio, video, or images to the questions.
                              > Administrators can choose to create practice drills or graded quizzes with
                              > variable weighting per question.There is also the option to have each
                              > question
                              > on a separate page or to have them grouped on a single page. The questions
                              > for
                              > the quiz or practice drill are saved on a server in XML format. All the
                              > user
                              > answers, scores and progress are saved to a MySql database via remoting
                              > with
                              > PHP. Administrators can give feedback to individual users or groups of
                              > users.
                              > Because I use this with language learners, I have a bilingual dictionary
                              > that
                              > generates practice problems in five different formats and keeps track of
                              > errors
                              > to allow focused practice.
                              >
                              > I feel the framework is fairly complete and robust after three years of
                              > development. User response has been great from both student users and
                              > teacher
                              > administrators. I do not have any resources or tutorials, but I can tell
                              > you it
                              > is possible, though a great deal of work. If you have any specific
                              > questions,
                              > you can contact me directly and I can go into more detail.

I'd love to talk to you when I am working on my eLearning Framework. The
                              idea behind that is to be for eLearning what Cairngorm or PureMVC are for
                              general development. So I'd like to see what eLearning design patterns
                              you've discovered and what kind of gotchas you've worked around. One piece
                              that I've been rolling around in my back brain for a while is what's a good
                              way to handle the relationship between the metadata (the content itself) and
                              the data (user tracking) that's going to be understandable for the
                              instructional designer types that are often tasked with building this stuff.

• 12. Re: Quiz Builder Application in Flex
                                Ansury Level 3
                                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                                It's not really that unique an idea. There are tons of quiz builders in
                                other languages ( http://etudesproject.org/cgi-bin/word2qti/qconverter.cgi),
                                but the eLearning community so far hasn't had the skill to go whole hog into
                                using Flex.

-Amy

Yeah I meant unique/rare within the Flex world, as I'd never heard of a similar Flex project or example, although given some of the responses here that doesn't seem to be the case. It's still a pretty cool and practical idea for a project.