6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2008 12:49 PM by Newsgroup_User

Problem With Template Management

TowhidK
      I am currently making a very large site for myself for which I want to use many templates – as in 30 to 40. In the past I never had any problems as I worked with 4 to 5 templates per site at most. But now that I will be using this many I don’t want them all to be inside the “Templates” folder that Dreamweaver creates by default.

Instead I want to put my templates under different sub folders so that I can manage them better. But when I make a sub folder within the original “Templates” folder and move some of my templates inside, Dreamweaver ceases to recognize those templates that were moved. By this I mean when I go to File>>New >> Page From Template, none of the templates that were moved inside the sub folders show up. Is there any solution to this?

Thanks to all in advance.
        • 1. Re: Problem With Template Management
          Level 7
          >I am currently making a very large site for myself for which I want to use
          >many
          > templates ? as in 30 to 40

This is a bad idea. How many total pages will be in the site?

> I don?t want them all to be inside the ?Templates? folder that Dreamweaver
          > creates by default.

Sorry - you have no option there. The templates must be saved within the
          Templates folder for them to work in DW.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"TowhidK" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gibnif$hll$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I am currently making a very large site for myself for which I want to use
          >many
          > templates ? as in 30 to 40. In the past I never had any problems as I
          > worked
          > with 4 to 5 templates per site at most. But now that I will be using this
          > many
          > I don?t want them all to be inside the ?Templates? folder that Dreamweaver
          > creates by default.
          >
          > Instead I want to put my templates under different sub folders so that I
          > can
          > manage them better. But when I make a sub folder within the original
          > ?Templates? folder and move some of my templates inside, Dreamweaver
          > ceases to
          > recognize those templates that were moved. By this I mean when I go to
          > File>>New >> Page From Template, none of the templates that were moved
          > inside
          > the sub folders show up. Is there any solution to this?
          >
          > Thanks to all in advance.
          >

• 2. Re: Problem With Template Management
            TowhidK Level 1
            There's going to be thousands of pages - perhaps more as I go along.

I can guess what the answer will be from your last reply, but just to be sure: the templates will beinside the "Templates" folder - just inside sub folders within the same. Is the answer still "Impossible"?

Thanks for the reply.
            • 3. Re: Problem With Template Management
              Level 7
              Yes. It's impossible. I urge you to reconsider your plan to have so many
              templates. After all, you will have only replaced one management problem
              with another by creating so many templates. Why so many? Why not one
              template with multiple stylesheets?

And with thousands of pages, why are you not using a data-driven
              arrangement - or are you?

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:gibt0s$oho$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > There's going to be thousands of pages - perhaps more as I go along.
              >
              > I can guess what the answer will be from your last reply, but just to be
              > sure:
              > the templates will beinside the "Templates" folder - just inside
              > sub
              > folders within the same. Is the answer still "Impossible"?
              >
              > Thanks for the reply.
              >

• 4. Re: Problem With Template Management
                Level 7

> but just to be sure:
                > the templates will beinside the "Templates" folder - just inside sub
                > folders within the same. Is the answer still "Impossible"?

Can't use subfolders inside the Templates folder.

There can only be one Templates folder per site definition. Only .dwt
                template files go into it. No other files in it, no subfolders in it, etc.

Question whether you really need that many templates. Find some other way.
                If you do want to go ahead with 30 or 40 templates, about all you can do is
                work out a meaningful naming convention.

--
                Alan
                Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 5. Re: Problem With Template Management
                  TowhidK Level 1
                  Thanks to both of you, your responses answered my question exactly. And I am beginning to see that using so many templates will be a disaster in the long run so I will see what else I can do and still accomplish what's in my mind.
                  • 6. Re: Problem With Template Management
                    Level 7
                    Templates do make your life much easier. I use the following scheme....

First, I mentally separate the page layout into three sections:

1. Stuff that will not change for the life of the site (i.e., the basic
                    structural elements)
                    2. Stuff that *could* change from time to time (e.g., navigation elements,
                    burst advertisements, section-specific navigation, etc.)
                    3. Stuff that *will* change from one page to the next

Then I create a template containing all class1 elements. Next I create
                    server-side include files containing all class 2 elements and place them on
                    the template as needed. Note - some of the class 2 elements may be
                    "section-specific elements", and their placement on the template will be
                    subject to the next item. Finally, I insert editable regions to cover the
                    class 3 items, INCLUDING the section-specific navigation.

This allows me to just cookie-cut the rest of the site. I estimate that
                    even for fairly large sites, about 80% of my work goes into planning and
                    creating this template file.

For your particular needs, I would try to isolate the layout elements that
                    will be on every page into a single template file. Then I would use a
                    selection of CSS files to change the layouts as needed (a la csszengarden),
                    and finally I'd have liberal use of server-side includes.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

news:gieclk$2kh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Thanks to both of you, your responses answered my question exactly. And I
                    > am
                    > beginning to see that using so many templates will be a disaster in the
                    > long
                    > run so I will see what else I can do and still accomplish what's in my
                    > mind.
                    >