5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 8:55 AM by Dave__M

Equations not read aloud?

annmariej92883564

I have a PDF that has a lot of equations, originally from Word, created in the equation editor. In Adobe Acrobat CC, Read Aloud just says "dot dot dot dot...." whenever something from the equation editor appears (except that it will read "equals 120" or such at the end). Is there anything we can do to have the equations read properly?

thank you,

AnnMarie

• 1. Re: Equations not read aloud?
          Dave__M Adobe Community Professional

AnnMarie,

Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot that shows the page and the Tags Panel (showing the tags for the equations) so we can see the created tags?  It would be very helpful.

My best,

Dave

• 2. Re: Equations not read aloud?
            annmariej92883564 Level 1

All of the equations are inside tables. Is that the problem?

As far as I can tell, I can't see any tagging inside of a table. If it's possible, please let me know how to do so. I'm not very familiar with tagging tables.

AnnMarie

• 3. Re: Equations not read aloud?

AnnMarie - my initial concern is that the equations are image based, and not text based.  Can you confirm that there are 'figures' in the table cells vs. text based?

My best,

Dave

• 4. Re: Equations not read aloud?
                annmariej92883564 Level 1

In the original Word document, the equations were created in the equation editor. I copied one to another document and saved it as PDF. It appears to be text, but the read aloud still just says dot dot dot.... (ending with "equals 1" however).

2017_04_13_10_19_26_i.pdf_Adobe_Acrobat_Pro_DC.png

Thanks for your help!

AnnMarie

• 5. Re: Equations not read aloud?

AnnMarie,

I have zero experience with Word's Equation Editor.  That said, I fabricated a simple equation with it, and converted the doc to PDF using the PDF Maker (Acrobat Ribbon tool).  The read out loud results were disappointing, and in line with your scenario.  Below is the PDF page, with the comment showing what I hear when read out loud:

equation1.jpg

Not satisfied with this, I right-clicked on the tag for the equation, selected properties, and used this dialog to change the tag from paragraph to figure (since Acrobat refused to read the appropriate text in the paragraph tag).  I then composed a proper text reading of the equation as the figure's Alternate Text... and it read it perfectly.

equation2.jpg

This is a solution that works, but I would check with your 508 Officer (if you have one) to ensure this is an acceptable solution for your agency/organization.

I hope this is helpful.

My best,

Dave