4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2017 1:33 PM by memoht

Linked files ending up as proxy resolution when generating Press Quality PDFs

memoht

We have been experiencing a strange issue since upgrading to InDesign CC (previous version was 5.5). When generating our product PDFs for press (such as PDF/X-4:2008) there are objects in ads that are ending up as proxy resolution instead of full resolution. I have already made sure objects on the network are not having permissions issues and that the placed objects are not missing.

About environment:

• Clean install of Windows 10

• Clean install of Adobe CC products

• Files are on a network

About files:

• Objects in question are either vector (placed AI files) and/or images

• We always link, never embed objects

I have noted that if we delete the Adobe InDesign folders under Username/AppData/Roaming and Username/AppData/Local and then relaunch InDesign and generate the PDFs, the problems disappear. I am thinking this is either a corrupted preference file or cache file somewhere, but am not sure. I specifically thought it could be the InDesign Defaults file. I also thought transparency was to blame, but it doesn't seem to be.

So the real question, is what files or corrupt files could cause placed vector or image objects in InDesign files to end up as proxy resolution objects when generating PDFs?

• 1. Re: Linked files ending up as proxy resolution when generating Press Quality PDFs
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I think you are loosing the connection to the server where the files are. Does it also happen when you package the file before exporting and export from the packaged file?

If yes, does it happen if you move the package to your local computer and export from there?

If no, then you should focus on your network connection to find the problem.

• 2. Re: Linked files ending up as proxy resolution when generating Press Quality PDFs
            memoht Level 1

Willi Adelberger

Hello,

In order to test out your theory, I packaged a copy of the publication with all links to the User desktop and exported from there. No change in result. I should also clarify that when generating PDFs, the problems occur in the exact same ads (a publication is comprised of multiple ads, each being an InDesign file or a PDF) each time. If the network was randomly losing it's connection, I would expect InDesign to choke and crash, or that the problem would randomly occur each time.

Deleting the above mentioned InDesign folders from (AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming) fixes the problem. I am trying to isolate which file (or files) in those sub-folders could be in play. My best theory is that some important file is corrupted whenever InDesign crashes (which happens occasionally) or some cache issue.

• 3. Re: Linked files ending up as proxy resolution when generating Press Quality PDFs
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Please make sure, if you place PDFs in InDesign they should be exported PDF/X-4 regardless which standard you use finally.

I would also recommend not to downsample in those PDFs any images and keep them in RGB up to the end.

Flattened PDFs like PDF/X-3 or /X-1a can cause huge problems in the final output.

• 4. Re: Linked files ending up as proxy resolution when generating Press Quality PDFs
                memoht Level 1

The source of PDFs can vary greatly because they come from Ad Agencies, Clients, and vendors. While we provide clients with Media Guidelines, many agencies and clients do not provide PDFs that adhere to them.

In this particular case, the objects that are reverting to low resolution proxies have included native .AI files and Photoshop images (though CRA's have caused their own issues).

• We use Adobe Acrobat DC to preflight and try to correct issues with PDFs.

• All images we process in-house are saved as 170-200ppi, CMYK, PSD files across the board. We do not leave any objects in RGB because we are producing PDFs for a printed product.

• Unfortunately we also have some papers that go out in the PDF/X-1:2001 format, which is still beyond my control.