8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2008 2:57 AM by Mike_Herron

Flex App with Large number of CRUD Screens

dcjava

I'm going to be porting an application from another UI technology to Flex. I've built small Flex apps, and am looking for samples and tips regarding Flex Apps with a large number of screens.

We're currently doing paper-prototyping, but the final app may have as many as 50 "forms" consisting of single-forms, master-detail, read-only datagrids, and editable data-grids. It'll be Very light on graphics and glitz. We're shooting for function over form.

I have small samples running on a prototype - works like a champ.

Any gotchas to be concerned about as it Flex scales-up?

• 1. Re: Flex App with Large number of CRUD Screens
          injpix Level 3
          I am not aware of any "gotchas" to be concerned of. But if AVM can handle it, which it potentially could, then AVM2 will definitely handle it. It depends on the architecture of the application.
          What language is the application coming from? Are you going to be using any application frameworks (PureMVC, Cairngorm)? What about connectivity (eg; LCDS, BlazeDS, etc.)?
          • 3. Re: Flex App with Large number of CRUD Screens
            dcjava Level 1

>>What language is the application coming from? Are you going to be using any application frameworks (PureMVC, Cairngorm)? What about connectivity (eg; LCDS, BlazeDS, etc.)?

I'm a Java developer familiar with Spring, so while searching for frameworks I found an interesting one called Parsley that implements an IOC pattern for Flex. I was going to try that one out. And I saw PureMVC mentioned in another posting, but haven't had time to try it out yet. Do you have any recommendations regarding frameworks?

And all we need is Java Remoting, so BlazeDS should take care of our needs without moving to LCDS

• 4. Re: Flex App with Large number of CRUD Screens
              injpix Level 3
              I can't believe the amount of frameworks out there. I never heard of Parsley until you posted, then I immediately read about it on their website. If you are comfortable with it, then I would recommend it; since Adobe and SpringSource announced this week that they are going to integrate Spring into BlazeDS. And also, plans are to make an adaptor for LCDS.

As for PureMVC, I can't say much about it since I haven't used it. Although I hear its more sophisticated then Cairngorm.

quote:

And all we need is Java Remoting, so BlazeDS should take care of our needs without moving to LCDS

Then that's good, if you haven't bought LCDS already because BlazeDS is open source.
              • 5. Re: Flex App with Large number of CRUD Screens
                *gsb* Level 1
                As frameworks go, check out Mate. It is tag based and easily integrates with Flex MXML.

As far as your application is concerned, have you considered using modules? Each "CRUD page or form-set" could be a separate module loaded as needed reducing the application initial load size and beating any limits that might exist.

I have created "popup modules" that can be used as windows or full browser views. These can even be state based and as simple to navigate as state changes; scope.currentState = "next_page_or_form-set";

Well anyway, is a thought.

• 6. Re: Flex App with Large number of CRUD Screens
                  injpix Level 3
                  *gsb* thanks for posting about Mate. Again, I never heard of it until you posted. Have you used Mate? Do you know the differences between it and Flicc?
                  Flicc Site
                  • 7. Re: Flex App with Large number of CRUD Screens
                    dcjava Level 1

Anybody know of any existing Flex apps with a large number of CRUD forms?

I scanned the Flex Showcase - and it looks like Weight Watchers, and Turbo Tax Personal appear to be Flex apps with a large number of interactive forms.

Others?

• 8. Re: Flex App with Large number of CRUD Screens
                      Mike_Herron
                      quote:

Originally posted by: myIP
                      *gsb* thanks for posting about Mate. Again, I never heard of it until you posted. Have you used Mate? Do you know the differences between it and Flicc?
                      Flicc Site

Flicc is really just a standalone IOC container - if you are comfortable with IOC, and confident about how you want to use it in a Flex project, Flicc is well suited. Prana is also an option. Mate on the other hand is an application framework - it has set conventions and patterns that dictate how you should build your application. If this is your first Flex project or you're unsure of how to structure a Flex application (in terms of creating a clean seperation of business logic, service calls etc) then Mate, Cairngorm or Purve MVC will give you more support.