• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom not importing photos

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2017 Apr 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have had a problem ever since I got lightroom, and has been happening randomly probably about 50% of the time, but just in the past 16 hours or so it's been happening every single time.

The problem is, when I click import, select a folder with photos, then click the import button to import them, no photos show up, and the bar in the top left goes all the way to the end but stops. Sometimes one or two photos will show up, but it's usually none. I use lightroom for my job, so I have to get this figured out as soon as possible. If the video doesn't work I can post a link if you want me to.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried importing to a different drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the only other drive I have is my C: drive, and I don't use that one for anything except my OS and most used programs. It's only 120 GB, but it's an SSD, that's why. My other drive is the E: drive, and it's 1 TB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please state the version NUMBER of your Lightroom. Please state the version NUMBER of your operating system.

Guess: try different hardware, perhaps a different card reader or USB cable than the one you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom version 2015.9, or Lightroom CC 2015.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit.

I'm just importing from a folder on my computer, to edit, then exporting to another folder. In the video I attached up there, it shows exactly what's happening and what went wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After answering the previous questions, check the Destination panel in the Import dialog to make sure it is pointing where you want it to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite suer how that works... It just puts all of my photos into a folder called "2017"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What type of device are you importing from/to?   Network, card reader, internal or external drive?  Your movie is too fuzzy to read almost anything.  Screen clips would have been a good addition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video is in 720p, you can select that in the little gears cog in the bottom right when you hover over the player.

I'm importing from a folder on my E: drive. And I'm not 100% sure how lightroom works, but it makes this folder called "2017" and puts a ton of pictures in it which is a little weird. Anyway, select a higher resolution on the video and you can see exactly what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you place a screen shot like this please??

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 6.18.27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not allowed to show the actual pictures, so I had to blur them out. Also, it seems as if almost nobody watched the short video showing the problem, so watching that could help. It's attached in my original post.screenshot.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you Synchronise the Folder from the iteration of it in the Library Panel where it has already been imported???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and by the way I am in Northern Uganda with minimal bandwidth at all so I didn't watch your video...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh... I can just edit them straight from there, but they're mixed in with a ton of other random pictures from previous imports... I just have to clear the folder every time I guess. So yeah, I guess it technically works, but it's more complicated, I would love to be able to just do it the normal way. I have to get these photos done as soon as possible, in fact, after I receive the photos, I have 24 hours to edit and get them back, so anything that could take a longer time to do is going to be time wasted that I could have used for actually editing the photos. I can do it this way, but would rather do it just normally, thank you for your help though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files you are importing are being copied into the 2017 folder on your E: drive. Since you already have these files previously imported into Lightroom, why are you creating copies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how else you do it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you need to copies? If these copies are for your client, then you should be using the export dialog and choosing the file type, size, and other attributes your client needs. Explore the export dialog to see the options you have there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your files are already on your E: why are you using COPY instead of ADD when importing.  Using COPY doubles your disk space needs and increases import time.  The reason you are getting a 2017 folder with subfolders is because you are telling Lightroom to do this in the destination dialogs.  If you use ADD this will not happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Because I'm a complete noob to Lightroom, and just copied the settings from a friend, assuming everything was right, and had always worked until just the other day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines