2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2017 7:37 PM by Bob Somrak

PSD files in Lightroom

Bob Somrak Level 6

When I import a PSD file that has multiple layers into Lightroom what is the type/specs of the file you are editing in Lightroom.  As Lightroom does not know anything about the layers in Photoshop there must be a TIFF file or some other file type that Lightroom is using.  It probably isn't some JPG full size preview, at least I hope not.  Is the color profile and bit depth the ones you were using in Photoshop?   This is just for my general interest as it seems to work ok but I thought I would ask the EXPERTS.

• 1. Re: PSD files in Lightroom
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

LR can only edit PSD files that have been saved with the Maximize Compatibility option. This option stores a special compatibility layer in the PSD that is the merger of all the layers, equivalent to the result of Layer > Flatten Image.  The compatibility layer has the same resolution, bit depth, and profile as the other layers, and of course it doesn't have any lossy compression applied.

• 2. Re: PSD files in Lightroom
            Bob Somrak Level 6

Thanks for the info John. I have always wondered what I was editing in Lr when using a PSD.  You explained it very well!