2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 5:15 AM by Luciano Abel

How convert scripts tags in formatting stiles?

Luciano Abel

Is there a way tu make Indesign automatic applying a pre-formated stile to a text base in a script-like code?

Exemple

Where is <i/on>Michael<i/off>?

become

Where is Michael?

When I insert the text in Indesign.

I want to have a text that other people can look and edict, without the need them to have Indesing. With this I can share a text ate the same time the text is in de book on Indesing. When the text is edited by someone I just update it in the program.  So I need  Indesing to recognize the code and convert it into a stile previously done on it.

Can it be done? How?Tutorials?

• 1. Re: How convert scripts tags in formatting stiles?
          MW Design Level 4

I have some of my clients using WordPress and other CMS systems. They create/edit "stories" in the systems and I have the IT people (and/or I) export the MySQL databases to output plain text that strips and wraps the text with codes. I do the same with MS Word submissions, but use macros to tag paragraph and text attributes with tags.

The below is a sample I did for someone else that shows the tagging:

capture-000997.png

And once imported, all paragraph and character styles are automatically applied like so (here in QXP):

capture-000998.png

We use XTags from Em Software for a few reasons, one of which is the simpler tagging style as can be seen from the tagged text screen shot above. It is available both for ID and QXP. It is made for such automation and likely would be of benefit to you if I am understanding your situation. Xtags » Em Software

Otherwise, InCopy may meet your needs. There are videos on Lynda.com you can watch, as well as some articles on InDesignSecrets.com about InCopy (I think there is also a web site dedicated to it). I don't use it and so cannot speak to how well it may work for you.

Mike

• 2. Re: How convert scripts tags in formatting stiles?
            Luciano Abel Level 1

No, that dont help me. Too much code in de text. I need some more simple, this is not for web, is just a sistem for de revisores can check the text in the finile form, without use the Indesign.

Like this:

<1>Attributes

[SIDEBAR]

<3>Specialties

<n>Some characters are especially good at particular applications of their Traits. For example, a mechanic might be particularly good with muscle cars, a thief might excel at breaking and entering, and a brawler might be infamous as a dirty fighter. To represent this, characters with scores of 4 or higher in Attributes or Abilities may choose specialties for those Traits.

A specialty is a particular subcategory of an Attribute or Ability — thus, a character with a Strength 5 might choose to be especially adept in “deadlifting,” while a character with Performance 4 might be renowned for her “singing.” Whenever a player makes a die roll involving an activity in which her character has specialized, she may count any die that comes up “10” as two successes instead of just one.

<i>Example: Laurent has Etiquette 4 with a specialty in mannered conversation. He’s at Elysium arguing on behalf of the misguided actions of his sire’s mortal lover, bargaining for her life. To gauge the Prince’s reaction, the Storyteller has Laurent’s player roll Laurent’s Charisma (4) + Etiquette (4) versus difficulty 7 and allows the specialty to apply, given the formal nature of the hearing. The dice pool is 8, and from these dice Laurent’s player rolls 7,9, and 10 — two successes plus two more successes from the 10. From this roll, the player and Storyteller determine that Laurent’s logical argument is sound enough, and that his address to the Prince and his exaggerated deference to the order in which the proceedings occur really frame the point. Laurent makes a compelling case and his sire’s lover won’t meet her end tonight, but his sire must break his blood bond to her.

[END SIDEBAR]

<n>Every Vampire character has Attributes. They represent the basic potential of every person in the world, as well as most other living (and unliving) things. Most people have Attribute scores between 1 (poor) and 3 (good), though exceptionally gifted individuals may have scores of 4 (excellent) or even 5 (peak human capacity). Some vampire elders, those of strong Blood, are rumored to have scores higher still, while other Kindred, like the hideously ugly Nosferatu, may have scores supernaturally lower than the human minimum.

<2>Physical

<n>Physical Attributes define the condition of a character’s body. They indicate how strong, agile, and resilient a character is. Physical Attributes should be taken as the primary category for an action-oriented character.

Vampires may use ingested blood to supernaturally augment their Physical (and only their Physical) Attributes. For more on this, see p. XX.