• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I set my margins and columns to affect every page?

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My document is created but now I want to add columns but when I change it, it only affects the page I'm working on. How do I make it affect the whole document?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 10, 2017 Apr 10, 2017

Each of your document pages is based off of a master page. If you change the guides on the master page, it will happen to all of the document pages that use that particular master. It sounds like you may be new to InDesign, so it's likely you haven't created additional master pages. If you need to do that, make sure you set everything correctly on those masters as well.

Here's a link I found with a quick Google search: Learn how to use master pages in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each of your document pages is based off of a master page. If you change the guides on the master page, it will happen to all of the document pages that use that particular master. It sounds like you may be new to InDesign, so it's likely you haven't created additional master pages. If you need to do that, make sure you set everything correctly on those masters as well.

Here's a link I found with a quick Google search: Learn how to use master pages in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Migintosh is correct. That's the best way to change margins and page guides.

You can create more than one master page and some document pages may be based on one, and some on another or another

For example, you might like all your pages to have particular margins and column structure. Create a Master Page A with just those settings. You can create a Master Page B which is Based on Master A. It will have what you've placed on Master A, but you could also add a header for B pages. The B Master is like a "child" of A Master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines