Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 incorrectly keeps prompting for file upload

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

today when I asked my DW CS4 (win) to sync with the server, it claimed to need uploading *all* files in my website tree.

This is clearly wrong because I am absolutely sure that most of the files never got touched in the past months.

Obviously, my first intention was to not upload all files, first because it would have been a very long-time operation, and secondarly because I don't know which files have changed at the remote side since the last sync, so I don't want to lose data. Later, as I couldn't come through it, I decided to patiently select the files I was sure were up-to-date and select them as "mark as synced". But the next sync still keeps prompting for the files upload... so, it seems I am in a neverending loop 😞

Tried to disable and re-enable the "keep sync info" flag, delete all dwsync.xml files, but nothing was useful.

I also have already searched for some solution for years, because from time to time the problem appeared and never got a final solution.

Also tried with no luck suggestions from many web forums, ecc, e.g.:

Remote and Local Site Sync Problems

https://helpx.adobe.com/archive/dreamweaver/dreamweaver-cs5-5-troubleshooting.pdf

Could please anyone help me? It's really an important issue for me because it's blocking my work.

Thank you very much in advance,
Andrea

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Since everyone uses different editors and presumably FTP clients, you should consider using Git Version Control.

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-About-Version-Control

Rumor has it, DW will be integrating this very soon.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never gotten the Synchronize function in DW to behave as expected on a couple of the servers I've used over the years.

Rather than using Synchronize on those servers, I do the following...

1. In the Files window, right click the root folder, the top line saying Site - yoursite (path to site)

2. In the context menu that comes up, choose Select

3. Next, choose Recently Modified
4. In the dialogue that comes up, change the "Files Created or Modified in the Last" field to 1 day (or the last time you uploaded)
5. Hit OK
6. This will highlight all of the files in your site that you have modified in the last day, right click one of the highlighted files and choose Put

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the same method.   Or Ctrl+Shift+U to upload the opened file(s).

IMO, File Sync is not very reliable.   

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy, @Jon, thank you for your replies. I wasn't aware of the method you mention (so thank you because it would be useful sometimes in the future!), but it doesn't solve my problem, because in my organization there are other people who can modify files in my site, so if I merely edit and upload a file I could potentially overwrite changes made by someone else.

In fact, I need to sync my local copy with the remote files before doing my work on DW. Sorry if I haven't pointed it out clearer in my first post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreamweavers CS4/5 versions had a problem with file sync being incorrectly reported, which was caused by the change from winter to summer time clock changes. There is an article which tells you how to fix this problem, at -

https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/kb/troubleshoot-synchronization-problems-dreamweaver-cs4.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind reply; actually the link you provide contains the same instructions in the pdf I linked in my post, which I had already tried without success. Though, you made me remind some kind of trouble with the Daylight Saving Time changes, which I got (maybe) some time ago. Indeed, yesterday I used DW for the first time after the last time change, so that could be the key. However, I still cannot find to solve it (apart from downloading ALL the site content to my local side, well... that obviously would be a *dirty* solution)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you're working in a collaborative environment, are you using the File Check-in/check-out features? 

Check in and check out files in Dreamweaver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nancy+OShea  ha scritto

Since you're working in a collaborative environment, are you using the File Check-in/check-out features? 

Check in and check out files in Dreamweaver

No, I am not, because other site editors don't use Dreamweaver, but simply modify some bits from time to time, using an FTP client and a text editor. But the point here, if I understand correctly, is not dependent on the check-in/out feature (btw, we have a reliable way to be sure that, when a person is working on a site file, all other people are informed). My problem is how to know which files were modified by someone else since my last sync.

Thank you again,

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since everyone uses different editors and presumably FTP clients, you should consider using Git Version Control.

https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Getting-Started-About-Version-Control

Rumor has it, DW will be integrating this very soon.

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines