• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Question Pools

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created several questions pools that will be used in multiple captivate files. 

This is what I have:

Let's say I import the 5 different question pools into 5 different Captivate courses. 

3 of the QP will be the exact same in all 5 courses, but 2 of the QP will be different.

Everything is great, no problems. 

Problem:

Now I need to make edits to 4 of the questions that are in the 3 QP used in all 5 courses.

Help:

Is there a way to only make the edit once or will I have to make the edits to all 4 questions in all 5 Captivate courses (20 times the work)?

Is there a better way to set up this type of QP course that I'm not thinking about?

TOPICS
Advanced , Editing , Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

This is one of the design flaws in quiz slides (logging a feature request since many versions): there is no way to change the spacing between answers (I don't speak about the leading in this case) in the quizzing master slides because they are not in a unique container. You can resize and reposition the answer area (which is the big container) but the quizzing master slide has only two answers inside of that area which are in the same container. With each new release I'm looking forward to havin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say import, do you mean that you created each question separately and typed it in, or you used something like a GIFT file?

If you created them separately, I can't think of a way to go and edit them all in one fell swoop.  I think you'd have to do them one by one.

In future, you could try using GIFT files.  You'd probably have to delete and re-import questions after editing the GIFT file, but that's probably not so bad.  Captivate 9 supports GIFT files that contain multiple choice, true false, short answer and matching questions.  I haven't checked out Captivate 2017 yet to see if there's other question types available.

Here's a quick overview article

Give yourself a GIFT with Captivate Quizzes | eLearning Brothers

Also I have a quick video about it on Lynda, if you have access to Lynda

Using GIFT files to import questions

There are lots of posts on these forums and just Google about how to format gift files. 

If you need more help, please post again with more specifics of how you created your questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I’m using GIFT files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right then, making the changing in the gift file, deleting the questions in the projects and then re-importing gift is I think the only option.  However, it shouldn't be so bad, hopefully.  You can import gift using the Question Pool Manager, or just Quiz>Import Question Pools.

Also, one little shortcut I like is you can right click on any question slide, whether you're looking at it in the Filmstrip or the Question Pool Manager, and choose Move Question To >  <name of question pool here>.  It can really make moving questions around faster. I tried to get a screenshot, but my system only grabbed the main Captivate window.

In any case it sounds like you might be in for a bit of work to replace those questions in all the different places they appear, but turn on some music and hopefully it will go fast. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to tell you that I watch a lot of your tutorials on Lynda.com. You do a really great job and are so easy to follow. You have helped me in so many ways!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that's very nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with the re-import it does not keep the formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, you mean like it it's not keeping text formatting?

You could try making sure your formatting is set the way you want for quizzing objects in Object Style Manager

Also you can also make sure you have the master slides for the questions formatted the way you want.  (To get there, make sure nothing on the screen is selected, then click Master Slide View in the Properties inspector).  Here's the how Mult Choice questions are set up in an example file.  One would think imported gift questions would follow the styles you set up on the master slides without problem, honestly I'd have to test to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to edit my answer, but the option is having difficulty.  What I mean is, you'd think gift questions would import and follow the master slides without buggy behavior, although I suppose you never know.

If you've got your object styles and your master slides all set up, unfortunately I'm not sure what else to suggest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is primarily the spacing of the multiple choice answers (being too close together, not leaving enough space for longer answers.) If that make any since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does makes sense.

Perhaps you can set up one question and then copy and paste the slide to your other projects, so you only format once, that might speed it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the design flaws in quiz slides (logging a feature request since many versions): there is no way to change the spacing between answers (I don't speak about the leading in this case) in the quizzing master slides because they are not in a unique container. You can resize and reposition the answer area (which is the big container) but the quizzing master slide has only two answers inside of that area which are in the same container. With each new release I'm looking forward to having this flaw fixed, but now I'm getting desperate. The new responsive project work flow makes formatting of quiz slides lot easier than with breakpoint views, but you still have to edit ea;ch individual quiz slide if you have answers that are longer than one line: on the quiz slide you can select an individual answer, on the master slide you cannot. Sorry for the ranting, but PLEASE, can you log a feature request as well?? It should be possible to resize individual answer containers on the master slide, and distribute them vertically. That is still not the case in CP2017 and the flaw appeared with CP6.  For responsive projects, where you have to format each breakpoint view, this is a real pain, makes me lose a lot of working time. That however is solved when using Fluid boxes in CP2017.

Anastasia, you seem to proclaim that it is possible to edit the space between individual answers on the master slide? How?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri, you are absolutely correct, you can move the question title/title on the master slide, but not the spacing between the answers.  Thanks for amending my earlier error, I have edited the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you create a custom theme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you mean using master slides then YES.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Theme is much more than just master slides. It starts with the Theme Colors and object styles, followed by master slides and skin.

What's in a Theme - a Template? - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does anyone have a beginner's guide or a recommended online tutorial to using question pools? They are new to me and I'm trying to upskill myself.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources