7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2017 11:54 AM by D Fosse

Blending a rainbow into a cloudy sky

(d) Level 1

I've been working on this and still have a question about how to approach making this Rainbow PNG blend into the clouds.

In the layers panel, the Rainbow image is above the sky image, in the Images 2 group.

I've also created a mask around the rainbow, so as to limit any effects to only the rainbow, and not surrounding areas.

There's a group of clouds in the lower left of the rainbow. I'd like the clouds to appear over the top of the rainbow, with the rainbow fading into the bunch of clouds in the lower left, right at the horizontal line in chart.

I'm using CMYK, as this will be printed as a postcard when finished.

My main questions are around the following settings, and the effects they'll produce.

Paintbrush hardness and diameter: I thought I'd want a lot of softness in the paintbrush to avoid hard edges of the effect. Also, i thought a medium diameter would also help soften the edges.

Mode: I'm thinking this setting, combined with strokes of the brush on the mask, should remove the rainbow, making the clouds more apparent above it. However, when I'm doing this in the current settings on the screen, it's creating a dark blue underneath the rainbow.

Opacity: I felt moving this down to around 65% would make any changes with the paintbrush more gradual. However, my end result isn't working, so not sure what the right setting for this would be.

Flow: I'm not clear on what this does, or if it's anything I should bother with.

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

thx

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 3.28.55 PM.png

• 1. Re: Blending a rainbow into a cloudy sky
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Hi (d)

You are in danger of slipping off page one.   You've done a very nice job already I'd say, so I'll just add that I am a big fan of overlapping composited elements with either copies of the background, or similar objects on layers placed above.  Now I haven't tried to match you colours, so all I have done is use a cloud brush above the rainbow layer, and used a couple of hue/sat layers to move the colour away from the original white

Showing a detail of the end of the rainbow shows that the cloud brush layer gives the rainbow some depth.

This is the brush I used.  If I wanted to soften the outside edge, I'd Cntrl click to load the selection, add a layer mask, and feather the mask.

I prefer to work in RGB and leave CMYK till the end, or let my printer, who is a buddy, do the conversion for me, and do a test print or two for me.

• 2. Re: Blending a rainbow into a cloudy sky
            (d) Level 1

Thanks, Trevor. That's really helpful.

I have a couple of questions.

When you say I'm in danger of slipping of page one, what are you referring to? What's the page?

I had watched a video tutorial on blending two images, and it used a brush to remove the top image (or make it less opaque) and reveal the layer beneath it. Whereas here, it sounds like you're placing clouds over the top of the rainbow.

As I already have this set up, is it viable to 'reduce' the rainbow's opacity, making the it appear to fade into the clouds?

I figured I could do all that with black brush strokes on the rainbow mask. (and I should also soften the edges of the mask, which i forgot to do).

Does that seem an equally viable option to you?

• 3. Re: Blending a rainbow into a cloudy sky
              D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

(d) - a rainbow is light, so it has to be lighter than the background. You do this by putting it in Screen blend mode.

Here are two simulated rainbows done with the gradient tool in Photoshop. Screen, and then reduced opacity to taste:

rainbow_1.jpg

rainbow_2.jpg

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Blending a rainbow into a cloudy sky

Trevor, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there's been something really funky with the color in your screenshots lately. Your sky blues are a dull purple bordering on magenta. It almost looks as if you're posting untagged ProPhoto...you wouldn't, would you?

• 5. Re: Blending a rainbow into a cloudy sky
                  (d) Level 1

D Fosse

Thank you for the examples. They look great.

I'm just not able to get anything close to the results you have with the gradient tool.

Below is my example. Even with the gradient screened and at 100% opacity, it looks washed out and the colors unnatural. Also, I'm not sure how to get it to tuck behind the clouds at the ends of the rainbow. Right now it has hard edges, and the problem I was having with the PNG was making the rainbow look like it's fading into the clouds.D Fosse

Any suggestions?

thx

doug

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 2.58.00 PM.png

• 6. Re: Blending a rainbow into a cloudy sky
                    Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Trevor, I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there's been something really funky with the color in your screenshots lately. Your sky blues are a dull purple bordering on magenta. It almost looks as if you're posting untagged ProPhoto...you wouldn't, would you?

Dag, like i said, I didn't try too hard to match the colour of the OP's screen shot, but it is trending towards magenta in the top left corner. 

Prophoto?  Isn't that something that colour nerds use?   I'm an sRGB sort of a person who is more into content than obsessing over colour.  You know that as I have said as much many times in this forum.   In fact the majority of my content is pure illustration nowadays, and my cameras don't get a whole lot of use.

(d)  I made the rainbow in post #1 with one of the standard gradient presets.

Something I'd add about feathering in the end points, is to use Foreground to Transparent in the layer mask, because it allows multiple gradients in the same mask.

My comment about slipping off page one was in regard to the position of your post in this forum.  Once a post slips off the first page, there is a good chance it will never get an answer.  So I posted as much to bump your thread as to offer the idea of overlapping elements.

• 7. Re: Blending a rainbow into a cloudy sky

You know that as I have said as much many times in this forum

Indeed. You've made it perfectly clear several times