Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with attempts at DC offset in 3.01

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I am having problems with my understanding of DC offset.
So I thought I would show you the problem by way of some images...

First, here is part of a waveform

It is a recording in mono from a cassette tape deck. Other tapes playback in the same way.
When I look at it, I notice that the top parts of the waveform above the RED line seem larger than the corresponding part of the waveform below the line.

3d2-JPDA101k.png

So I select normalise, and choose Normalise to -0.5db, plus a DC Offset of -3%.

The idea is to move the waveform down the screen to centre things higher, so that effects are the same above and below the red line. (I guess my understanding here is rubbish...  🙂   )

3e2-JPDA101k.png

So, this seems to be correct.

3j3-JPDA101k.png

But I have doubts..
So guys, does that now mean everything is ok and compression etc will be correct on both the + and - side of the red centre line?

Thanks in advance for any corrections to my understanding

Pete

TOPICS
Version 3 and earlier

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

No that isn't really DC offset. All audio signals are non linear to some extent, particularly the human voice and brass instruments due to the sound being produced by the air making the sound moving predominantly in one direction. So it is nothing to worry about.

Any level alteration be it amplification, normalization or compression should retain the difference in + and - going excursions of the waveform. If you try to make them equal you will actually be adding distortion! So in your image the r

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that isn't really DC offset. All audio signals are non linear to some extent, particularly the human voice and brass instruments due to the sound being produced by the air making the sound moving predominantly in one direction. So it is nothing to worry about.

Any level alteration be it amplification, normalization or compression should retain the difference in + and - going excursions of the waveform. If you try to make them equal you will actually be adding distortion! So in your image the red ringed peaks should keep their relative offset. Amplification/normalization of the marked part which is at present -3dB on the positive side and -7dB on the negative would, for instance, with a gain of +3dB end up as 0dB and -4dB. With compression the difference between the peaks will become slightly less depending on how much you apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Ryclark.

Your explanation is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines