• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bugs in InDesign 2017.1: tables and overprint

Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installing InDesign 2017.1 I detected two bugs which I cannot fix. Maybe someone can help me? Or better, dear InDesign developer, please fix these!

First bug: copying tables

When I’m copying/duplicating tables, the head and foot row of the pasted table disappear. So I have to re-format it again with styles to bring them back. If the table is not perfectly formatted, there’s no chance to bring back the header and the footer.

Second bug: overprint failure

Sometimes, when I re-format an elder indd, the automatic overprint feature (attributes) does not work. For example a colored type on a colored background is marked as overprint which is wrong. So the type is disappearing in the print. In the last versions of InDesign I had no problems with that. I remember that a lot of years before this problem was fixed. Now it’s back again.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Hi,

The first bug is known. I still request you to report it at Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Also, as a workaround can you try moving the table a little after pasting and check if the footer/header rows re appear?

Since, the second issue is "Sometimes" you need to provide a little more information. Perhaps, some screenshots or a sample document(downloadable through Dropbox)

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The first bug is known. I still request you to report it at Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Also, as a workaround can you try moving the table a little after pasting and check if the footer/header rows re appear?

Since, the second issue is "Sometimes" you need to provide a little more information. Perhaps, some screenshots or a sample document(downloadable through Dropbox)

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amaarora:

Thank you for your quick reply. I posted the table bug at bug report forum.

I checked the second problem again. It turned out that it seems to be not really a bug. Our old documents have the overprint checkbox activated in the simple paragraph because years before there was no intelligent overprint feature implemented. If I’m copying a text box from a new document (without activated overprint in the simple paragraph) to an old one, the overprint checkbox will be activated. If I change the type color from black to white, the text box is still overprinting. InDesign’s automation is obvious only working when the overprint checkbox in the simple paragraph is deactivated. So I have to deactivate this checkbox first before working with elder documents.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for reporting the bug.

Nice finding for the "Overprint preview" issue.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. I spoke with Adobe today--they said the developer team is aware of the table issue at least. In the meantime, here are three easy workarounds depending upon your circumstances:

1. Once you copy the table, simply change the size of the textbox slightly.
  2. If the table sits in its own text frame, make sure the text frame is selected, then type CTRL+ALT+C (for PC)
  3. Insert your text tool into the table and type a single character; the header and footer will reappear

These have worked for me at least; your mileage may vary.

Take care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

thank you for providing the workarounds.

For workaround 3 there is a variant:

Select a single insertion point in a cell ( could be an empty cell as well ) and change something in formatting.

E.g. apply a new color and reapply the old color.

Thanks,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

when can we expect a fix for that? Very annoying in 90+ page documents with tables on every page...

regards

Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I suggest you report the bug at Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

is reported since 5 weeks already....

couldnt be that hard to fix a bug that wasn't there before 2017.1?!

Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yannic,

just guessing here:

This bug could be a side-effect fixing another bug with tables that could crash InDesign.

So it obviously takes its time…

FWIW: The last time fixes were made available for CC 2017.0 it took several month to see two hotfixes that were not announced and delivered through the CC Desktop app but only done by providing an extra installer one could download from help pages.

I hope, that a fix will be made available soon.

And that this time it will be announced through the CC Desktop app.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2017 May 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

​any news on this table bug?

​We're producing our 3rd batch of catalogues plagued by this issue.

​It's ridiculous that adobe leaves it's customers high and dry.

An estimatet time for the problems fix would be the least you can provide to your paying customers.

So WHEN COMES A FIX?

Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe almost never pre-announces when bug fixes will arrive. That's pretty consistent with other software developers. I've never seen the same from Apple, Google and others. If you have a bug that's only in the present version, you can download the previous version (InDesign CC 2015) and use that version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and downgrade 15+ workstations, work in progress, running into version incompatibility conflicts and so on...

tanks for trying to help, but adobe just should do their jobs right and simply hotfix such critical bugs faster than every "several" months...

btw, i don't pay either for osx nor for google software, and they bring updates about every month normally, in critical cases even faster, so i don't have to ask for them. and if i ask in a support forum with adobe employees just involved in the discussion - it would be nice if they could say more than "please report the bug" and silly non practical workarounds like "just move every (about 300) table/s in your (about 10) document/s a little bit, every time you open your document, or before you write a pdf, or after you copy a table..."

no offense but i'm really disappointed 5 weeks after first reporting the issue

Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yannic,

I totally understand the problem you have to face due to this bug. For now the only update is that we have identified this issue as a must fix for the next release.

As an when if there is any update or a hot fix I would let you know.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also see:

InD CC 2017: Tables - Header & Footer disappears when duplicating the table.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2311073

MacOS Sierra (10.12.4)

InDesign CC 2017 (12.1.0.56)

So Adobe, it’s a known bug like so many other bugs in your apps.

WHEN are you going to FIX it?

Soon or years from now???

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't shoot the messenger! I'm only trying to help you set your expectations realistically. Very large applications are slower to create bug fixes for. It's all too easy to hastily fix a bug and create a worse one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

didn't wanted to blame you sir, i appreciate your willingness to help, just wanted to show you that it's not that easy to workaround. 🙂

also thanks for the update mr. amaarora, signs of life from employees are very welcome!

bg

Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, I understand your frustration. That's probably as good as you can get. Chances are, Aman has no idea when the bug fix will be released. Those decisions are made at a higher pay grade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

A fix for the issue reported by you is available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-issues-indesign-cc-2017_1.htmlPlease follow the steps mentioned in the link above and install the fix.

Also, note that fix is only for InDesign CC 2017.1 application.

Kindly, share your feedback.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Monica,

seems to work!

Thx a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines