8 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2017 6:56 AM by Jinying

Logo image licensing

SooBrett

It's standard policy that you can't use a stock image for your logo or trademark. Understood.

But it's bugged me for a long time that there are loads of images on Adobe stock that are clearly marked as a logo. I can't see what purpose they would serve for anything else. In fact if you search for "logo" you get nearly 1.5 MILLION results.

So my question is ...what are the rules governing a stock graphic that is clearly intended to be used in a logo? Why would Adobe accept them if they are restricted from being used for their intended purpose?

I'm currently researching ideas for a water-based logo. There are lots of great splash and droplet vectors that are labelled as logos. Can I use them or not?  It's baffling.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Logo image licensing
          kanikas17063107 Adobe Employee

Hi SooBrett,

Please refer the legal terms of use for Adobe stock images:

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/legal/servicetou/Adobe_Stock_Terms-en_US-20161015 _2200.pdf

Hope this helps you understand where and how you can use the images.

Feel free to update the thread for any query.

• 2. Re: Logo image licensing
            SooBrett Level 1

Hi Kanikas

Yes, I already saw under the restrictions that you cannot "Incorporate the work into a trademark or service mark". 

That means logo, right? 

I'll try rephrasing my questions:

1: Why are you offering 1.5 million logo graphics if nobody can legally use them?

2: Are there different rules if an image is actually tagged as a logo?

It's the anomaly that I'm questioning!

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Logo image licensing
              kanikas17063107 Adobe Employee

You need to have complete ownership of the image you use for your company logo since logos are intended to be registered and protected to prevent other companies or organizations from using the same image. Because Adobe Stock only grants a right to use images and does not transfer the ownership, these images cannot be used in or as a logo.On Stock website, we have images and not logos that can be used.

Refer: Common Questions, Adobe Stock

You may also Contact Customer Care for help.

• 4. Re: Logo image licensing
                SooBrett Level 1

Thanks again, but this still doesn't answer my questions, which are perfectly reasonable.

You say "On Stock website, we have images and not logos that can be used."

Not logos?  This is a screenshot of the first page of a search for "logos":

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 15.03.28 • Droplr  It's pretty obvious that those are all logos or logo elements. I can't think what else I would use them for.

1: Why are you offering 1.5 MILLION logo graphics if nobody can legally use them?

2: What do you think people do use the logo images for, if they can't use them in their logos?

3: Does the restriction apply if you only want to use an element of an image in your logo?

It's totally baffling. I can see others have asked the question but nobody has given a satisfactory explanation.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Logo image licensing
                  Sheena Kaul Adobe Employee

Hi Sue,

I understand your concern and agree with your questions.

But, I would like to make you understand that we are not offering any Logos to our customers, we are just offering them images that they can work on. Adobe Stock nowhere lists that the images can be used for creating logos.

Also, when you search the term logo, the results populate up but that is only because the contributor has put the keyword as "logo" while submitting their image.

But I while go ahead and take up your concern with the Stock team.

Regards,

Sheena

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Logo image licensing
                    athenah79793711

I agree, I don't understand how they can lost their stock image as a logo but we can't use it as such

• 7. Re: Logo image licensing
                      SooBrett Level 1

Hi Sheena

Thanks for you answer and I'm sorry for my long silence, I've been hectic.

I think I may need to clarify what I'm asking. I don't want to purchase a ready-made logo. Of course not, that goes against everything I stand for. I'm referring to elements to modify and use as part of a logo design. Suppose say, I purchased a vector of a water drop and then changed the colour and modified the shape to fit my concept ...would that be permitted?

I have over 200 image download credits on Adobe Stock. I can't stop the subscription because I'd lose them all ...and I can't download hundreds of images when I can't predict what I'll need in the future!!  So I keep paying the sub and hoping that I'll find images to fit my requirements.

What I need at the moment is to save some time by using some graphical elements in a design, rather than create from scratch ...but they will barely be recognisable by the time I'm finished.

Take this image I've picked out at random: blue water droplets - image | Adobe Stock

That is CLEARLY intended to be used as the basis for a logo design, wouldn't you agree?

Perhaps Adobe should clarify this point about logo designs to the people submitting images and remove the "logo" keyword from use? It gives me the impression that nobody is monitoring the quality and appropriateness of images here. And don't get me started on overuse of keywords. Many designers assign dozens of unrelated keywords to their work, making it much harder to narrow down searches to what one is looking for. I'm getting ludicrously unrelated results in my searches.

Or you could adopt the approach taken by CreativeMarket.com ...they make it clear that you can't register a trademark with one of their stock items as it is, but they don't preclude using an item as part of a logo design and explain it very nicely. One is left in no doubt what you can and can't do with their stock.

There are thousands of logo images on Adobe Stock that fall into a very grey area and no decent explanation anywhere of what is and is not acceptable use of them. Do people less scrupulous than me download and use them anyway? If not, what is their purpose? I'm curious.

Best regards

• 8. Re: Logo image licensing
                        Jinying

I agree with the question contributor's question. A logo first is the image, whether picture or vector, or something else. when that image is used for trademark or logo purpose, it will become a logo. Since you are selling image and market it as logo, people believe it can be used for the their logo or a part of logo design. Many "logo" image here clearly makes the total design as logo format, for example, Image + company name + tagline.

Well, the point is, since the image can't be used for the purchase purpose, I think adobe has to refund for all the money back to the people who are purchasing them for logo design...because the image format on the site is a misrepresentation, whether they are from any sellers on the site or not.

I just purchased 1 126882889 and I need refund. I thought it was a logo because of license agreement says I could use it, then I found enterprise link, but that link does not go anywhere until I saw this thread...

Wasting time here...