• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you achieve this vintage/mute effect on a photo?

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

footer-21.jpg

Need help achieving this kind of vintage/mute effect on a photo.  Please help!

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say that using some adjustment layers > both photo filters and maybe a saturation layer > would get you close:

BEFORE:

2017-04-12_22-06-47.png

2017-04-12_22-04-44.png

AFTER:

2017-04-12_22-05-03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is easily done with a Levels adjustment.

• Pull the shadow input slider to the right to clip the shadows
  • Pull the shadow output slider to the right to lift those clipped shadows
  • Pull the highlight output sliders, per channel, to the left for the muted highlights. Adjust channels individually to achieve the right highlight color cast

levels_1.jpg

levels_2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say that this is the closest method of producing the desired effect. Whilst all the others would probably work this looks like its the quickest in terms of style replication.

Going to mark this as assumed answered for now and suggest that perhaps the OP considers your answer as the correct one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like to me what we used to call cross processing. In the days of film we put a color negative film in the e-6 process or a transparency film in a c-41 process. I have best been able to duplicate it with Nik Filters Color Efex pro4 a free photoshop plugin from google. Google purchased Nik's a few years back.

Aloha

Randy

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 12.12.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also try adding one or more adjustment layers for Color Lookup. Once you add a Color Lookup, select the drop down menu in the Properties panel. While it's selected, use your arrow keeps to try out what works best. You might try something like Futuristic Bleak or Foggy Night. You can get interesting effects by adding more than one and adjusting the opacity on the adjustment layer. Switching the order of the adjustment layers also produces different results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To get close to the sample image:

Make levels layer with values: R output 56 and 187, G output 71 and 204, B output 94 and 186.

Then make another Levels layer between the image and another levels so you can adjust the clipping on whites and blacks easily.

Depending the image you might need to adjust also the contrast in middle tones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much guys! Great answers and great tips too. Although I couldn't quite achieve those same results with the techniques suggested here, I did get close. I also found a youtube video on creating a Mute Effect that got my image really close to the sample image.

Again, Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to add: Remember that you can create a lookup table (or LUT) once you get the look you want and use this later on other documents. (Use File > Export > Color Lookup Tables; be sure that at least one adjustment layer is present and you have a background layer (Layer > New > Background from Layer).)

This is a great feature if you want a consistent look across images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines