• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a planet, need to pathfinder>subtract a shape from multiple grouped objects

Participant ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay here's the situation guys...

I am trying to create a small planet using indesign. This may not be the best way to go about it, so if you have a better method please let me know! (Please don't suggest using AI or PS, I already know they would be better, but I don't have access to them unfortunately, thank you.) But I figured I could create a  spraypaint effect by layering a bunch of boxes with a radial gradient feather effect applied to them, then grouping them all together like so...

Then I drew a rectangle, then a circle over top of that, and used pathfinder to subtract the circle from the rectangle, creating an overlay with a circle cut out of the middle, I planned to use it kind of like a stencil...

Next I placed the "stencil" over my grouped gradients...

My plan was then, of course, to use pathfinder again to subtract the rectangle frame from the grouped boxes of gradient and wind up with just the circle in the middle. I thought it was the perfect plan. I don't know another way to get the color effect I am looking for. This circle has a 4 color gradient which is easy enough to pull off, except that the colors are placed sporadically instead of having to be linear or radial. Plus it fades to transparent on the dark end which will automatically create a really nice gradient shadow when I place it on top of my dark background...

The problem is that when I select both the rectangle with the circle cut out and the grouped gradients in the background, then go to object > pathfinder... all of the pathfinder options are grayed out! Why can't I subtract a shape from a group of objects?!?!

Ignore my desktop, apparently, I can't take a screenshot of only one of my screens and keep the objects drop-down open at the same time.

so... does anyone have a better way to achieve this effect, or know how I can accomplish this method without having to start from scratch?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

If I'm not mistaken, you can simply Cut or Copy the grouped frames (from your first screenshot), and Place Into a circle shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm not mistaken, you can simply Cut or Copy the grouped frames (from your first screenshot), and Place Into a circle shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, this should really be done in Illustrator BUT... if I'm understanding your question correctly, maybe you are going about this backwards. Instead of making a "hole" in space to reveal a planet, do just the opposite by trying the following:

1. Copy your Group of Gradient-filled objects.
  2. Draw a circle with the Ellipse tool (L) by clicking and dragging with the tool while holding down the Shift key.
  3. With your circle selected, go to Edit > Paste Into to paste the Gradient-ifilled objects inside your circular Frame.

Your Gradient will work like a graphic inside of a Frame. You can click on the Content Grabber in the center of the Frame to moved your Grouped Gradient object around within the Frame. You can also move the planet Frame around as a unit, put it in front of any background and even add a Glow to it in the Effects panel.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel silly for not thinking of this, thank you both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How it turned out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines