9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 5:53 AM by noahs18357377

editing spacebar keyboard shortcut

noahs18357377

Hi,

I am switching from Gimp to Photoshop, so I don't know my way around very well yet. I am working with a wacom bamboo tablet,

and in gimp, pressing and holding a button on the pen enabled me to pan around my image, just like the spacebar in photoshop.

First off, I would like to ask what that tool (the one enabled by the spacebar) is called. It is different than the hand tool, in that you can hold the spacebar down as long as you want it, then release and snap back to whatever tool you where using before.

Secondly, I would love to re-assign whatever-that-tool-is-called's shortcut to a different key; one that will work with my wacom pen. I already tried setting the pen button to a spacebar in the wacom preferences, but it doesn't work.

The pen settings actually have an option called "pan/scroll", but alas, it doesn't work in photoshop.

Thanks for your help,

Noah

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to specific Program forum... Mod]

• 1. Re: editing spacebar keyboard shortcut
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

OK Noel, I am not entirely sure I am following you, but an alternative to panning with the Space bar, is the spring-loaded pan from a zoomed position holding down the 'H' key.  You can assign the letter 'H' to either button in Wacom properties.  It's a cool trick with no downsides I can think of.

• 2. Re: editing spacebar keyboard shortcut
            noahs18357377 Level 1

What do you mean by "spring loaded"? Are you talking about when it zooms out temporarily and lets you choose what part of the image to pan to? I actually like the tool that is used by the spacebar. I just want to access it with my wacom pen button, instead of the spacebar. That way I could zoom in, draw some, then just hold down the pen button (instead of the spacebar) and pan over a bit. As soon as I let go of the one button, I would be back to the brush tool, and could continue drawing; without the sickening zoom out and zoom in of the "H" key.

• 3. Re: editing spacebar keyboard shortcut

Spring-loaded shortcuts are ones that operate while the key is held down, and 'spring back' to the tool being used before the spring-loaded shortcut was used.  These are

R - Rotate Canvas

H - Pan zoom window to different location.

E - Eraser

In fact it works with most of the tools, but where more than one tool uses the same shortcut, I don't think there is a way to switch other than to rearrange the order the tools appear in a custom toolbar (if you have CC)

As you can see in the Wacom Properties screen shot, you can assign any key to either pen button, so whatever works for you.

• 4. Re: editing spacebar keyboard shortcut
                noahs18357377 Level 1

First off, Thank you for that info on spring-loaded shortcuts. My lack of jargon knowledge was making the problem hard to research. I'm a little confused about this:

In fact it works with most of the tools, but where more than one tool uses the same shortcut, I don't think there is a way to switch other than to rearrange the order the tools appear in a custom toolbar (if you have CC)

The tool that I am trying to access through pen buttons is the spring-loaded version of the hand tool. I don't think that it shares the spacebar spring loaded shortcut with another tool, does it?

I was actually going to do a screen recording to make my problem more clear; but when I opened Gimp, I realized that the spring-loaded pan tool in Gimp isn't working anymore either. Perhaps it is an issue with macOS 10.12.3, or maybe my wacom driver. I have an old wacom bamboo, and my wacom preferences don't even look like the above screenshot. this is what mine looks like:

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 8.29.17 PM.png

My original problem was that the Pan/Scroll... pen button option wasn't working in Photoshop. But now that it isn't working in gimp (which it used to work in) makes me think it might be a wacom problem.

• 5. Re: editing spacebar keyboard shortcut

I think you might be over complicating the issue.  If you use the Pen button drop-down and choose Keystroke and hit the Spacebar in the resulting dialog box / window. holding the upper pen button will allow you to pan.  Let go of the button and you'll return to the tool you were using.

You can even name it in the lower window.

And it will display as such when you hit Display Settings. Note I don't know how much of that is compatible with the Bamboo

• 6. Re: editing spacebar keyboard shortcut
                    noahs18357377 Level 1

Alrighty. I tried what you suggested, and when I go into, say, safari, and I press the second pen button (the one set to spacebar) it works fine. But when I try to use it in photoshop, nothing happens. The spacebar itself works fine, as well as the other pen button (which is set to "right click"), but nothing from the second pen button. perhaps photoshop reads it differently from the pen? I'm getting pretty confused.

BTW, thank you sooo much for your help. I really appreciate you're willingness to help a total stranger.

• 7. Re: editing spacebar keyboard shortcut

I don't know how similar Wacom Properties is with the Bamboo to my Intuos 4, but I also have a Cintiq Companion 2 which uses the same drive, so there is a good chance you are seeing the same thing.  So it comes down to how you the Application field set.  You can see in my previous screen shots that I only had All Other in that field], so the setting change I made to illustrate it for you was applied to all applications.  I have now add Photoshop as a specific application, and returned All Other to Double Click

But left Photoshop set to Spacebar.  I might even leave it that way and use your idea of panning with the top pen button, but I tend to only use the lower button to select brush presets. 

You don't need Photoshop to have focus.  Just click on the Plus sign to the right of the Application field, select Photoshop, and give it the settings required.  It is working fine for me.

• 8. Re: editing spacebar keyboard shortcut
                        digipush

Thanks for giving the good information, I like this information in berif explanation

• 9. Re: editing spacebar keyboard shortcut
                          noahs18357377 Level 1

My wacom properties doesn't have those device, field, and applications fields. All I have is just what you see in the screenshot I posted. It's weird, because I have the most recent bamboo driver. I actually have a bamboo fun CTE-450, Which is not listed on the "compatible products" list for the driver. A couple other bamboo tablets where listed, and it half way works with my bamboo fun. I would use a driver that is specifically for the CTE-450, but I read somewhere that all the bamboo tablets will work with the same driver. Even if I did find an old CTE-450 driver, It would probably not be compatible with macOS 10.12.