• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding Anchors to Breakpoints Changes Layout

Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I am currently trying to finish up a site I have designed for a client and everything has gone whacky.  I had my site working completely fine with multiple breakpoints with working anchors in each.  But, I ended up editing my toolbar menu on my smallest breakpoint (my phone sized breakpoint) by adding a close button to the top toolbar-menu widget and ever since nothing works the same as before.  I even deleted the close button and the site still reacts and sizes differently than before adding it.  In-between the sections of my site there is now blank areas showing up, some of them pages and pages in length of blank space.  I was really looking to try to make one, completely responsive site that would work on any size web-browser on all computers and mobile devices.  I am not using the same anchors for each breakpoint to clarify.  For example, the larger breakpoint anchors are hidden in the smaller breakpoints and have their own anchors named differently, while the smaller breakpoint anchors are created separately and hidden in the larger breakpoints.  Do anchors not scale along with fluid layout designs in separate breakpoints?  Are they bound to the exact position they are set in muse (non-fluid) so if the page scales and changes the size of the sections the anchor position gets left behind like its static?  That's all I can think of that might be messing this up, or a glitch with my toolbar widget once selecting the close button option.  Again, this all worked completely fine for the past few weeks as I steadily worked on the site, but once adding the close button to the toolbar menu widget this started happening.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am really hoping the breakpoints and breakpoint specific anchors can be fixed and I won't have to do separate desktop/mobile/phone layouts.

MuseHelp.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t identify your primary problem. Is it the close button in your "tool-bar menu" (whatever this may be) or is it the position of anchors?

Anchors can’t "scale along", because different breakpoints normally have different layouts, and a page orientated "scaling" anchor will mostly lead to a wrong position. But you can reposition anchors breakpoint-wise to the place, you want if to be.

If I understood wrong, do the following:

Create a new site with only one page and only some elements, which demonstrate your issue, or reduce your existing site to only one typical page, containing a few elements, which demonstrate your issue. (This is helpful, because it saves download- and analysing-time). Upload this .muse file to Dropbox or a similar file sharing service and provide the download link here. Then we can have a closer look.

Thus, time consuming „question and answer“ games or pure guessing can be considerably reduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess my main question is if anchors are static in fluid layout designs.  Can anchors move up or down according to the layout changing in fluid layouts?  Pic is included below that shows the problem.  First pic is the layout without anchors in a fluid design and the sections always link up fine, expanding and descreasing in size depending on the browser side perfectly.  2nd pic is what happens when I put anchors into the breakpoint.  As you can see it completely resizes the layout section and creates empty spaces.

MuseHelp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should I say? It you link to an anchor, every browser tries to scroll, until the anchor is positioned in the upper left corner of the browser window. Anchors are absolute positions on a page/breakpoint, not relative positions in relationship to certain objects.

Not sure, if the "white space", you show in your screenshot, has anything to do with anchors.

Do the following:

Create a new site with only one page and only the elements, which are shown in your screenshot, or reduce your existing site to only one page, containing the shown elements. (This is helpful, because it saves download- and analysing-time).

Upload this .muse file to Dropbox or a similar file sharing service and provide the download link here. Then we can have a closer look.

Thus, time consuming „question and answer“ games or pure guessing can be considerably reduced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anchors are static to their position and don't move to correspond with fluid layouts then my answer is question.  And the "white spots" only show up when anchors are introduced to the breakpoints, like I clearly stated and showed in the pic.  Nothing else needs to be done if this is the case.  Thanks for your help.  I'm just surprised anchors can't be used in fluid layouts without changing how assets re-size in different browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*If anchors are static to their position and don't move to correspond with fluid layouts then my question is answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it isn't answered. Anchors in fluid layouts don't cause blank gaps. Anchors don't touch element at all. As I already said: Show us the .muse file, otherwise live without assistance …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines