• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to be an expert in Adobe InDesign

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company is moving to InDesign from QuarkXpress in about two months. I have been using QuarkXpress since 2004 and the last time i use InDesign was CS3 for very short period.

With Adobe InDesign becoming main app for our company product (Newspaper & Magazines) I need to get more familiar with Adobe InDesign CC 2017.

There are lot of tutorial materials out in the market, but i need to your suggestions which one to buy.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

I agree with all of the fantastic advice above. Anne-Marie Concepcion and David Blatner are absolutely amazing. They also have an entertaining podcast and blog called InDesign Secrets. This site has amazing tips, podcasts, and videos.

Another amazing reference I give people trying to learn InDesign is Chad Chelius's InDesign Learn by Video. He goes in explicit detail with InDesign. I also like that it is a DVD and I can watch it anywhere without being online.

Terry White has some great tips and t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check video tutorials at lynda.com from David Blatner, Anne-Marie Concepción, and others - this are the best courses on InDesign I ever seen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I'm fairly proficient in INDD, but Lynda.com from David Blatner is always teaching me something I didnt even know. There is also a lot of repetition of tools/shortcuts so in case you forgot it from the first tutorial or missed it trying to get the last tool to work you have another chance to catch it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As said above tutorials from Lynda are one of the best. InDesign - Online Courses, Classes, Training, Tutorials on Lynda They are exhaustive and include all functions/features/concepts with exercise files that let you try as you watch.

You can also start with these free tutorials from Adobe itself. InDesign tutorials | Learn how to use InDesign CC

And finally trying as you learn, is the best way!

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the ideas listed above, here's a list of Adobe Certified Instructors who offer training on InDesign:

Adobe Partner Finder | Adobe Training & Certification

The ACIs have to pass expert exams on the products they teach, and have teaching credentials. You might find that there is one in your hometown, or you might consider attending an instructor-led, online training class.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll add the best book for beginners in InDesign: Sandee Cohen's Visual QuickStart Guide. It's designed so you don't need to read it through, but just jump into the feature you need to learn.

InDesign CC: Visual QuickStart Guide (2014 release)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I agree with the folks who recommend all the great books and remote training solutions above, if you really need to quickly become an expert at InDesign at publication deadline, you need to audit somebody's book being produced at deadline.

Tutorials are good, but they don't show you how to make InDesign work when you're on deadline. Take all the suggestions above, with special emphasis on what Barb Binder recommended, then go to a publication and watch them use InDesign on deadline. You probably won't find a local competitor who'll let you do that -- but you may, if you can call in a big favor with a friend in the business -- but amongst association affiliations/friends you've worked with/went to school with, you'll probably be able to call on somebody for help.

If not, hire somebody who knows InDesign and knows deadlines and have them sit with you through one or two. I guarantee you that you'll save more than you ever spend on professionals who can show how InDesign works when it really counts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with all of the fantastic advice above. Anne-Marie Concepcion and David Blatner are absolutely amazing. They also have an entertaining podcast and blog called InDesign Secrets. This site has amazing tips, podcasts, and videos.

Another amazing reference I give people trying to learn InDesign is Chad Chelius's InDesign Learn by Video. He goes in explicit detail with InDesign. I also like that it is a DVD and I can watch it anywhere without being online.

Terry White has some great tips and trick about InDesign as well. He also has videos on YouTube and Adobe TV.

Deke McClelland has a series on Lynda.com about InDesign.

Classroom in a Book for Indesign is also a good learning tool.

I follow all of them and more and learn something new each day. They are all amazing and I get a different experience with each trainer. Adobe's website has a lot of skilled and talented people trainers who are happy to share what they know about InDesign.

All of these tips and the future ones will help you master InDesign in no time. Have fun learning!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines