how make ping and get Reply in flex
      example like this:
      Ping localhost

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
      Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

thanks before.

• 1. Re: Make telnet in flex
          Dr. Fred Mbogo Level 1
          Implementing ping requires lower-level access than AIR allows. It's on a level below TCP, the lowest level of the stack you can directly access through AIR/Flex.

I also don't believe you can call an external process to do pinging for you, without using add-ons like SHU.

However, I have long experience with network programming, and I can categorically state that it's almost never correct for a user program to be pinging other hosts. Usually this stems from a misguided approach to solving some problem that has a better solution.

Why don't you tell us what your actual problem is, instead of specifying the solution in advance? Maybe we can come up with a better solution.
          • 2. Re: Make telnet in flex
            firmatogu Level 1
            @jkhgdkhgslkj

in another programming, like PHP we can make program to ping a host.
            command like this: `ping $ip -n 1`

How about flex?

My program description.
            this program is webbase. i want to make a flex program with action Script 3.0. this program aims to check connection with a host and i also want to get time reply.

ex;
            if time reply fast( 1 up to 128 ms), so i can make conclusion: Connection EXCELLENT
            if time reply fast( 128 up to 256 ms), so i can make conclusion: Connection GOOD
            and etc.

How make it in flex? may you give example or explanation.

thanks

• 3. Re: Make telnet in flex
              ntsiii Level 3
              You could use one of the RPC protocols to make this test. Of course, you would need some listener on the host server.

Tracy
              • 4. Re: Make telnet in flex
                Michael Borbor Level 4
                I think what you to do is some sort of bandwitdh test, I've seen a few of this over the Internet, this link might give you some insight on what you're trying to accomplish http://www.auditmypc.com/broadband-speed-test.asp
                • 5. Re: Make telnet in flex
                  Dr. Fred Mbogo Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: firmatogu
                  How about flex?
                  Flex programs run in the browser, not on the server. You can talk to the server to get it to do things for you, but comparing it to PHP is wrong-headed. It's apples and oranges.

quote:

i want to make a flex program with action Script 3.0. this program aims to check connection with a host and i also want to get time reply.
                  I don't see why you can't just make the TCP connection and time that. A TCP connection takes longer to negotiate than doing a ping, but you just have to scale your times accordingly.
                  • 6. Re: Make telnet in flex
                    Ansury Level 3
                    http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/ActionScriptLangRefV3/air/net/package-detail.html

I've never used these stupid things but I'm wondering if AIR's monitoring functionality could be of use here if you have some service to monitor. No AIR? Can't use these then!

(Plus I've no idea if they'd be useful for this! There's a "lastStatusUpdate" property that may or may not change after each "ping". Or it may just state when the status actually changes. The documentation on it sucks, so who knows. "Time of the last status update." lol It's like undergrad 101 documentation. :p )