• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ninja Blade codecs.... supported by PreEl?

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ninja Blade codecs.... supported by PreEl? in Premiere Elements

Eugene Martin asked5 days ago

I just got a Sony a6300 camera and I will be doing video with it as well as stills. I don't like the 29 minute cap on recording time so I am thinking of getting a Ninja Blade recorder. Here are the codecs it records in:

Codecs  Apple ProRes HQ, 422, LT

AVID DNxHD 220x, 220, 145, 36

does anyone know if these can be edited in any PreEl programs?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question was just posted by you a week ago. The answer is that no one has responded because no one knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Codecs  Apple ProRes HQ, 422, LT

AVID DNxHD 220x, 220, 145, 36

does anyone know if these can be edited in any PreEl programs?

thanks

I looked those codecs/formats up.  It appears the first is a specialty from Apple and the second from AVID.  Both appear targeted at Final Cut , Adobe Premier Pro and Sony Vegas. 

Put a couple clips in DropBox and post the link.  I'll try them on my PC with PrE15 and let you know.

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be glad to test these clips out also, Bill. And so could ther poster, using the trial version of Premiere Elements.

The issue seems to be that the poster hasn't yet bought the camcorder and wants to know if Premiere Elements can edit the footage before he does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

I have a slightly upgraded Vimeo account that allows my viewers to "download" the original file exactly as uploaded.  I have a couple of clips there from my two Panasonic 4K cameras that are straight out of the camera with no editing at all.  The purpose is solely for people who wonder if their computers and NLE software are compatible with Panasonic's version of 4K.  The clips get a surprising number of downloads!

My point here is that if the OP is serious about buying the Atomos Ninja Blade external recorder, he should be able to find "test clips" somewhere on some forum.  I probably could find them too, but would rather not spend the time searching. 

FWIW, here is a 35 second 4Kp30 clip from a Panasonic GX8 that is fun to watch if you like Pacific Ocean sea lions. https://vimeo.com/212998352

Look for the Vimeo "Download" button and select "original" if you want the 390MB clip.  You can use it to test Premiere Elements preview rendering speeds, processing speeds and output rendering quality on whatever computers you have.  Some want to know what happens if they buy a new Panasonic camera, shoot 4K and output HD for their TVs.  PrE 13, 14 and 15 work well with 4K if you have a CPU with the appropriate speed. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks guys. yes... i wanted to see if PreEl15 would be able to handle those type of files before i purchase one of those recorders. it's a leap to go from an older Sony digital camcorder to one with the lens capabilities of the Sony a6300, but the a6300 is fraught with over heating issues as well compressed video files compared to what the Ninja Blade can do. i will try to see if i can find files to see if they will  work with any PreEl programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"but the a6300 is fraught with over heating issues as well compressed video files"

Put things in perspective.  The vast majority of watchable video is three to five minute collections of 3 to 5 second video clips.  Everything else puts people to sleep.  The a6300 does not over heat shooting short clips.  It might if you are shooting a 30 minute lecture, but nobody buys a a6300 to shoot lectures!

Regarding the compressed video files, the a6300's best selection is 3840 x 2160p at 30 fps and 100 Mbps in XAVC S.  If you can't make that work for the finest of available TV screens there is something wrong with your eyeballs. 

Further, Premier Elements is incredibly cheap for an NLE and works wonderfully with XAVC S. 

The a6300 is a fine camera for video.  Don't screw it up by attaching a bunch of cumbersome gadgets. 

(I've been know to be wrong!)

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Bill et al.

the reason that I want to use the Ninja is that I shoot full length concert videos so having a external recorder helps in many ways. No overheating of the camera, not shutting down every 29 minutes as these cameras do for some reason  and powering the camera from an external power supply so that it runs the entire time.

So back to the original question. I guess I have to hunt around and see if I can find any of those files to see it I can use them in PreEl 15. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

genesmachine  wrote

thanks Bill et al.

So back to the original question. I guess I have to hunt around and see if I can find any of those files to see it I can use them in PreEl 15. 

If I knew where to find some, I would download directly and try it. 

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you very much Bill. I appreciate that you would do that for me.  If I find any I will let you know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice, Bill! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines