6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 2:32 PM by Newsgroup_User

The perfect presentation machine?

joe_fa
      Hi, y'all:

This may be too basic, but we really need help making our CEO happy! He's very hard to please . . .

The machine needs to be light enough to be portable, plug in and play well with projectors, and only run outlook and play the videos.

Help!

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: The perfect presentation machine?
          Level 7
          Ask your CEO to go to hell...

I do not understand what do you mean saying "must play outlook". Sorry.

Rgs,
          Ziggi
          • 2. Re: The perfect presentation machine?
            joe_fa Level 1
            Good morning!

Believe me, that would be my first choice! But I'm strangely addicted to this paycheck . . .

It needs to play director files, run outlook (so windows only, I assume) and play well with projectors. The last machine we got him had all kinds of trouble displaying when you plugged in a projector.

This may be the wrong place to ask, and if so -- I'm sorry to waste anyone's time or bandwidth.

Happy New Year, one way or another!
            • 3. Re: The perfect presentation machine?
              Level 7
              I use a Dell Latitude D620 to display presentations all the time without
              trouble. Any name brand, mid level laptop should suit your needs just fine.

joe_fa wrote:
              > Good morning!
              >
              > Believe me, that would be my first choice! But I'm strangely addicted to this
              > paycheck . . .
              >
              > It needs to play director files, run outlook (so windows only, I assume) and
              > play well with projectors. The last machine we got him had all kinds of
              > trouble displaying when you plugged in a projector.
              >
              > This may be the wrong place to ask, and if so -- I'm sorry to waste anyone's
              > time or bandwidth.
              >
              > Happy New Year, one way or another!
              >
              • 4. Re: The perfect presentation machine?
                johnAq Level 1
                In terms of performance, Dave C's suggestion of a name bramd mid level machine is fine for anything but over-bloated requirements.

As for your CEO - who clearly doesn't know (or even want to know) anything about computers - typically the biggest issue with playing video on a laptop connected to a projector comes from the fact that many laptops only play video on what has been assigne the 'Primary' display. There are also things like 'Theatre mode' (where the laptop tries to play all video full screen, and changes the resolution as well) which are best avoided.

These issues are not with Director - they also exist even in WMP. Your best option is of course to test with a connected monitor before you buy.

I can't say which brand will be easier to confogure this way, though my old ThinkPad had 'Presentation Manager' software that seemed simple to configure and implement.

hth

johnAq
                • 5. Re: The perfect presentation machine?
                  Nietmann
                  Take your presentation with you to where you are planning to buy the laptop and test it on every one they have. Oh by the way tell him to get a Mac.
                  • 6. Re: The perfect presentation machine?
                    Level 7

"Nietmann" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                    news:gknrdl$sma$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > Take your presentation with you to where you are planning to buy the
                    > laptop and test it on every one they have. Oh by the way tell him to
                    > get a Mac.

Quote:
                    "and only run outlook and play the videos"

Forget the Mac.
                    R.