• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign adding blank wireframe page on left of two spread, not allowing the pages to flow easily

Enthusiast ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started my document in such a way that page number one was on the left side. I don’t know what happened today. I was adding a page within the document and indesign is adding new page on the right side and a blank rectangular line page on the left. I have tried fiddling with allow document pages to shuffle but I am not able to figure out the problem. I want the pages to flow easily. What should I do?

line2.jpg

thin1.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if I adjust the spread by dragging it to left, on going at the end of the document and adding more pages, the problem still comes. In the end of the document, on adding new pags, Indesign adds these black rectangle pages on left and pushes my layout to the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That wireframe is odd, but let's give it a go. Open the Pages panel menu. Are both Allow Pages to Shuffle and Allow Spreads to Shuffle enabled? If not, turn them both back on. Does that take care of it? If not, try dragging the pages around in the Pages panel. With both Shuffles on, they should snap back into place then, if they didn't already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BarbBinder  wrote

That wireframe is odd, but let's give it a go. Open the Pages panel menu. Are both Allow Pages to Shuffle and Allow Spreads to Shuffle enabled? If not, turn them both back on. Does that take care of it? If not, try dragging the pages around in the Pages panel. With both Shuffles on, they should snap back into place then, if they didn't already.

I have disabled allow document pages to shuffle. There is no option in the pages panel menu that says "allow pages to shuffle". If I enable this option, my page one goes to right and the problem is resolved. I want my page one to be on the left side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you really want page 1 to be on left side, then you need to disable Allow Pages to Shuffle and keep Allow Spreads to Shuffle ON.

Then, all you have to do is to open page panel and drag and drop your page 5 (based on your 1st screenshot) on the left, until you see the icon with the hand with a left arrow.

pages.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vinny38  wrote

If you really want page 1 to be on left side, then you need to disable Allow Pages to Shuffle and keep Allow Spreads to Shuffle ON.

Then, all you have to do is to open page panel and drag and drop your page 5 (based on your 1st screenshot) on the left, until you see the icon with the hand with a left arrow.

pages.gif

Okay, that works. If I add more pages by dragging the master page towards the right of the even number page at the end in my pages panel (just like you did in the animated gif),  the odd number page remains on left and even one on right. However, if I click the new page button in the pages panel, my two page spread moves to the right side and a blank space is made on the left side which is annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You mentioned that this is part of a book. If you add all of your chapters to an InDesign book file, you can set the book to Start Document on next even page. The will force each chapter document to start with a spread, and allow you to automate page numbering throughout the book.

Screenshot 2017-04-19 08.17.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Do you really need to start your document with page 1 on left side?

Odd pages are meant to be always on right side and disabling auto shuffling, just like you did, may be fine for a small document, but will give you headache for larger ones.

So I advise you start with an even page number if possible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vinny38  wrote

Hi

Do you really need to start your document with page 1 on left side?

Odd pages are meant to be always on right side and disabling auto shuffling, just like you did, may be fine for a small document, but will give you headache for larger ones.

So I advise you start with an even page number if possible...

Actually I am working on a book. The chapter has a two page spread cover page. Then the chapter begins.

Hence, I have page one on left, two on the right. These have a big photograph. On page three, my chapter text starts. I have till now only made first chapter and working on the second chapter. Those chapters have separate .indd files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, but this could be achieved in a regular way.

Set your "cover pages" as pages 2 and 3, then text start on page 4...

No problem whatsoever ^^ Or did I miss something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines