2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2008 11:16 PM by nickname23

Playing some media from JumpTV fails

nickname23
      I am unable to view streaming media [ live & on demand ] from a particular site, on some of the PCs on my small LAN. The site requires Adobe Flash 10, which has been installed; more accurately upgraded from AFP 9. I allowed the browser to notify me of the required update and obtain the update automatically, instead of uninstalling AFT 9.

I can listen to streaming radio & archived audio from the web site.

All computers have been upgraded to Adobe Flash Player 10

PC1
      Windows Vista Ultimate SP0
      ASUS M2N - E motherboard
      AMD AM2 64 bit, dual core, 4400+ processor
      2 x 1.0 GB generic DDR2 667 ram
      XFX GeForce 8600GTS with 256 MB ram
      80 GB Western Digital HDD, SATA
      Windows Media Player 11
      IE 7 & FF 3.0.3
      AVG 8 Internet Security

PC2
      Windows Vista Ultimate SP1
      ASUS M2N - E motherboard
      WMP11
      IE 7 & FF 3.0.3
      I have obtained all critical and important updates on the SP1 computer, but the problem persists.
      AVG Internet Security 8. Uninstalling AVG IS 8 does not result in success.

PC3
      Windows XP Pro SP2
      ASUS M2N - E motherboard
      WMP9
      IE 7 & FF 3.0.3
      AVG 8 Free & Windows XP firewall
      No improvement, on the SP2 PC, running IE 7 without add ons. No improvement running the SP2 PC, using FireFox, without add ons.

PC4
      Windows XP Pro SP2
      ASRock K7VM3 motherboard
      AMD 1.7 GHZ processor
      1.5 GB DDR ram
      TNT2 video card with 32 MB ram
      80 GB Western Digital, IDE
      WMP 9
      Upgraded to WMP11; no change
      Panda Internet Security 2009

PC4
      IBM Thinkpad R50
      Celeron 1.4 GHZ, dual core
      1.25 GB ram
      40 GB HDD
      WMP10
      IE 7 & FF 3.0.3
      AVG 8 Free & Windows XP Firewall

On PC1, Vista Ultimate SP0, I am successful.
      On PC2, Vista SP1, I am unsuccessful.
      On PC3, XP Pro SP2, I am successful
      On PC4, XP Pro SP2, I am unsuccessful
      On PC5, XP Pro SP2, I am unsuccessful.

No improvement by running IE 7 without add ons, because it needs the Adobe Flash Player add on.
      No improvement by disabling all services except Microsoft services and disabling everything on the startup tab in the system config utility [ msconfig ].
      No improvement by running in safe mode with networking because Adobe Flash Player will not run in Safe Mode.

I think the on demand videos download, because after closing the browsers, I run ATF Cleaner. It notifies me that 10s of MB of files have been cleaned up by ATF Cleaner.

All 4 computers connect through a D Link DI 524 router, using ethernet; CAT 5 cable; 10 / 100 NICs.

I can watch videos at www.msn.com and http://news.bbc.co.uk, on the problem PCs as well as the successful PCs.

Using PC2, I went to Jump TV's website, http://www.jumptv.com/. I clicked on "international TV". There, I am able to view & hear Hawaii IPTV 's "now playing" media.

I look forward to your help.
        • 1. Re: Playing some media from JumpTV fails
          nickname23 Level 1
          I spoke with tech support for the company that supplies the streaming media.

1. Their streaming media is "proprietary".

2. Their software is not intended to be compatible with Vista.

3. None of their basic tech support suggestions helped. They referred me to the "geek squad". ARGH!
          clear cache; disable AV software; turn off firewall; bypass router / connect directly to cable modem

Using PC2, [ which fails to play the media I want to watch ] I went to Jump TV's website, http://www.jumptv.com/. I clicked on "international TV". There, I am able to view & hear Hawaii IPTV 's "now playing" media.

BUT, from jumptv, to international TV to talfazat.com, the page opens but the player does play media. It sits there, notifying me that it is "connecting". ARGH!!!
          • 2. Re: Playing some media from JumpTV fails
            nickname23 Level 1
            I posted the problem at AnAndtech's forum.

"Mr Chad" referred me to the following.

My reply is between the rows of *s.

Due to recent enhancements to the Adobe Flash Player installers, you can now remove the player only by using the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller.
            Adobe KB 14157
            http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157

I have not tried the fix on my Vista Ultimate SP1 system, but the Win XP Pro SP2 boxes on which connection failed are now connecting.

First, I uninstalled AFP, per your link. Then, rebooted and installed AFP 10 from a download of AFP 10. Then, I opened IE 7 and logged in. The JumpTV media player opened and notified me that I needed to "install flash".

After verifying AFP 10's presence in "add / remove program", I again uninstalled AFT 10; rebooted; logged into site. When the JumpTV media player opened, I clicked on "install flash". Still no luck.

At the bottom of the JumpTV media player, I had noticed an advisory that the JumpTV media player was connecting to ad.doubleclick. . . ..
            I use a modified hosts file from mvps.org . I replaced the modified hosts file with the original hosts file, rebooted [ why not? ] and it connected.

I don't know if this was a waltz, tango or foxtrot, but the two step process solved my problem.

I hope Mr Chad's link helps others having problems installing AFP 10.

Hopefully Adobe will add something to AFP 10, so that when the user tries to uninstall AFP 10 via "add / remove programs" in XP or "programs and features" in Vista, the user will be instructed to use the AFP uninstaller.

Solved!