Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

X bar (mean symbol)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I can't find the x-bar (mean symbol) in Indesign.

Anyone know how to locate this symbol in glyphs?

(Indesign CC 2017)

Thanks,

Roger

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

In addition, using Rorohiko's cool (and free) script "UnicodeInjector" (https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/manuals/unicodeinjector-easily-insert-any-unicode-character-into-indesign) makes things so easy.

You can even assign a shortcut (CTRL + / in my example below) to type your "combined glyph".

See:

japanese.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This?

mean.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I guess the need is for a symbol like

I guess you first need to check if the font you have choosen has this glyph or not.

As far as I know, this symbol this glyph isnt assigned a unicode yet.

As a workaround you can any of the following:

1. Enter x. Type bar - and then kern the pair to a negative value it to make it overlapping. This is what i could achieve with this method:

2. Make a glyph using indiscripts http://www.indiscripts.com/category/projects/IndyFont​

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ha, my first post is still 'being moderated" so it's not clear what I meant.

(that moderating thing is obviously not fast enough).

however, it seems I misunderstood the question, so you're absolutely right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered kern and did it manually which solved the problem, another suggestion or easier workaround would be appreciated.

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to use specific font, and it hasn't that glyph, I'd vote for amaarora's second option. It's far more safe and robust solution. Depends on the volume of your project and workflow, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also it can be inserted using KB command Alt+0215

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had to use this character but I would think that maybe a math-based font in the OpenType format would definitely have it. I can't find a fond that does. That being said, if you open up the Glyphs panel in InDesign, you can search for the character by name or unicode value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

This spectific Glyph doesn't exist.

You need to combine two glyphs : x and "Macron" (Unicode 0304). Of course make sure your font has this "macron" glyph.

No need for kerning.

For a faster workaround, IndyFont would be a great tool.

Autocorrect could be handy too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition, using Rorohiko's cool (and free) script "UnicodeInjector" (https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/manuals/unicodeinjector-easily-insert-any-unicode-character-into-... makes things so easy.

You can even assign a shortcut (CTRL + / in my example below) to type your "combined glyph".

See:

japanese.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines