Exit

A Photoshop hue-shifting eyedropper script

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried Googling and searching here but can't find the following:

I would like a button or menu/checkmark or something, that when enabled, anytime I use

the eyedropper to pick a color, it also sets that color - with a slight hue shift - as the background color.

If you use PS, you probably already know that normally you'd have to press "X" to switch

to the background color and you then would have to manually select another color,

something I want to automate.

If you wanna know why;

The idea is for digital paintings I have brushes that use the "Color Dynamics" options based on

the brush' foreground and background color and (Wacom) pen pressure,

but I don't want the default black or white to be the brush' background color or every time have to manually

pick both my foreground and background colors.

Anybody know a script (CC or CS6+) or how I can do it, either of the 2 following ways?:

- Just the button or menu/checkmark with no options (using a fixed color shift % that's hard coded)

- A panel where I can select the amount of HSL (hue, lightness, saturation) shift

the background color should get compared to the selected foreground color.

Would really appreciate someone with an idea of who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not very helpful without pointing to something that could address my specific question..

That's like somebody asking the way and you give them a globe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read up on ScriptUI if you want a Dialog, Or Extensions if you want and extension Palette. Set colors and you might need to use some Action manager code so install the Scriptlistener Plugin and learn how to record and modify Action Manager code. Here is son coder from the Javascript reference for setting random foreground and background colors. You want many things.  You need to design your process.

app.foregroundColor.rgb.red = Math.random() * 255

app.foregroundColor.rgb.green = Math.random() * 255

app.foregroundColor.rgb.blue = Math.random() * 255

app.backgroundColor.rgb.red = Math.random() * 255

app.backgroundColor.rgb.green = Math.random() * 255

app.backgroundColor.rgb.blue = Math.random() * 255

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

I was hoping someone could at least point me in the direction of

triggering the background color being changed.

I know just the basics of extensions and don't mind reading up if I know where to look in the first place..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have never setup a Photoshop Custom Script Event.  I have only use some of the ones Adobe setup.  I do not know if you would be able to add one for set background/foreground Color.  Also I believe event are only triggered when Photoshop UI is being used.  That Actions and Scripts that change Photoshop's brush colors would not trigger a script events. You may need to trigger your event after using script and scripts that change brush colors.

Photoshop-specific Notes

https://books.google.com/books?id=kEh5AgAAQBAJ&pg=PA269&lpg=PA269&dq=How+to+add+a+Photoshop+custom+S...

http://www.heathrowe.com/script-events-manager-tips/

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines