• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

when I export the editable pdf, the characters come out broken. what to do?

New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded the trial version of Acrobat Pro to use for my translation work

Had one simple scanned pdf in Korean which i tried to edit.

It went through OCR and presented a decent looking editable file. However when I exported it out to a word docx, everything was broken.

I also tried to save just as a PDF and then tried importing it on my CAT tool, and it did the same thing. Everything was broken.

It's not even a complicated looking document, so I don't know why it's failing so miserably.

Does anyone know why this is? Maybe OCR for Korean is just so bad??

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

I assume you've selected Korean as the OCR language, and your originals are of a high enough resolution that OCR is not a problem.

I don't have much first hand experience with OCR'ing Korean language files in Acrobat, but so far it all worked reasonably well.

However, even though it's OCR algorithm is pretty good for "straight forward" files, when it comes to more challenging OCR jobs, I use Abbyy FineReader, which does a better job with documents that Acrobat cannot correctly recognize (e.g. two

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you've selected Korean as the OCR language, and your originals are of a high enough resolution that OCR is not a problem.

I don't have much first hand experience with OCR'ing Korean language files in Acrobat, but so far it all worked reasonably well.

However, even though it's OCR algorithm is pretty good for "straight forward" files, when it comes to more challenging OCR jobs, I use Abbyy FineReader, which does a better job with documents that Acrobat cannot correctly recognize (e.g. two or more languages mixed in the same document). You may want to try a dedicated OCR application to see if you can get better results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You were right. The thing is the PDF I used was very straight-forward (no pictures, boxes, images. Just a single page of text) which I was told crobat could handle (but it couldn't). I also tried to ocr an English PDF (similar complexity) using acrobat and it couldn't even properly export that either and turned out all broken again. Very disappointing. Anyway, I guess I will just have to use Abbyy for everything to be safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files are not suitable for translation purposes. Attempting to do so would cause in a lot of problems and headaches.

You need to ask for the original file used to create the PDF, translate it, and then generate a new PDF file from the edited version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines