• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GH5 10bit C4K files appear to not import correctly after 2017 Spring update.

Participant ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So i just updated today to test GH5 10 bit files and see if they worked any better. Well..they don't crash..but no video is imported anymore only the audio. Tested in Premiere and Media Encoder. I have only tested 10bit C4k mp4 files. I'm not near my camera to test any other formats yet.

At least before today, I could create proxies if need be to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi justinjohnson76,

• Can you please try after cleaning the media cache?
  • You can also try transcoding your clips (before importing).

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention I am on Windows 10. That my be relevant because i just saw in my event log an update to Windows was installed over night.

I did clean media cache.  And transcoding could be an option but I prefer to stay native or use the built in proxy feature of I can.

I have a laptop that does not have the latest update for Windows so I can test that tonight.

Thank you for the response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're probably aware, but in case you aren't ... the mp4 and mov media typically produced by "DLSR" type cameras (including the mirrorless also, of course) is long-GOP and heavily compressed to get it out of the processor and onto the card in-cam as fast as possible.

That media is a complete actual frame (I frame) every so many frames and for the frames either before or after that for X number of frames (p & b frames) ... there isn't an actual frame, only a data-set of the pixels that have changed from the correlated I-frame.

To de-compress for playback/editing, the CPU takes the first I-frame, decompresses & sends to RAM/cache; calls up the next p or b frame data, recalls the I frame to compute the differences, makes a frame, then puts some back in RAM/cache and passes some down the chain. Rinse & repeat. It is incredibly CPU/RAM and threads/cores intensive, just for the decompression.

It's bad enough at 1080 ... by the time you get to 4k, it's a horrific load on the subsystems. Several magnitudes greater workload.

So at that point, transcoding to DNxHR, Cineform 10-bit YUV, or ProRes can make it a ton easier to edit your project. Even then, I'd still make proxies.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I knew that.  Good information.  Before today,  i could import the 10 bit files and create dnxhd low res files to edit with using the proxy function.  After todays update, only the audio imports now.  No video at all.  Now it could be that the Windows 10 update really caused the issue, so I will test that tonight when I get home. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's such a pain at times the way things over there cause an issue over here ... seemingly unrelated. Trapping them out is almost a luck thing. Like apparently the onedrive.dll file or something like that from the MS Office recent versions can simply  by being installed with MS Office cause a few issues for video post work. Dump that file, it works; have that file, it doesn't.

Really? Weird.

Having this mix of software, OS, and hardware and the way they do ... or don't inter-relate. It's Life of course, but it's not always pleasant.

I'm still with the GH3, btw ... but looking at 10-bit in-cam media as something that's very, very ... interesting ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Software development can be a tricky thing. It really is weird the issues that can crop up. Love my GH5... love Adobe premiere.. I am sure this will be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heading down to NAB, planning on spending a bit of time chatting with a Panny rep for the m4/3 cams that I know well. He's from near here, but of course ... we mostly talk at NAB!

I used a GH4 for a job and creating some test material, in many ways the files were great ... but not quite enough of an upgrade that I spent the cash for ... another camera body.

The 5 ... well, this is probably coming to a studio near me ... sigh ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started with the GH2 years ago and every new GH iteration I kept debating on upgrading. When the GH5 was announced, I couldn't hold out upgrading any more.

Enjoy NAB and tell the Panasonic guys to keep up the great work And thank you also for all the great information you share here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help as always ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chatting with a Panny rep for the m4/3 cams that I know well.

Hmm, always thought it was Sony that made the M3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's Micro 4/3rds cameras for the gear-challenged among us ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.cinema5d.com/alert-do-not-upgrade-to-premiere-pro-cc-2017-1/

Well glad to know it's not just me. Here's hoping for a quick fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Justin,

We have a bug filed for this issue. Please file specifics of your case here. We apologize for this terrible inconvenience. Hope we can get a fix in the next update for you and other new GH5 owners. I really feel for you guys. Sorry. I will look for a workaround in the interim.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Filled out the bug report. I understand things happen. Will watch for the update. For now I'll stick to 8-bit files.

Thanks for the quick response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too hoped this update would work but it's actually worse now. Prior to today's update the thumbnails in Prelude & Premier appeared with a "?" icon. Now they look like an Audition file (Waveform as Icon) and that's how they act too -  If I drag them to a timeline only the audio is there.  I have been transcoding to DnX HQ and previously AME worked fine. Yesterday, AME displayed a thumbnail as it transcoded the file.  Now the thumbnail is a black box. This is a step backwards! Anyway to return to the bad (previous version) from the worse (today's update)?

Windows 10

Nvidia 1080 graphics

64 gb ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SF Ogden,

What happened? Did you update an existing project? Or is this behavior with a new project? Have you trashed Media Cache?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking.  I updated an existing project and  I tried  a new project, both in PP & Prelude.

For two weeks until now I could at least use AME to transcode the GH5 10bit to DnX HR (HQ & HQX) and then use it in Premier.  After the update AME will transcode the audio but no video gets transcoded.  At first I thought it was an issue with the thumbnail now appearing black but clearly the black means there is no video.

And yes, I've trashed/cleaned the media cache from the preferences in both PP & PL.

I've tested it with the same files I shot yesterday and successfully transcoded last night.  Giant step backwards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have the issue.  GH5 10bit UHD 24p .mp4 files only import into this latest 11.1 (2017.1) Windows 10 version of PP and AME only recognises them as audio files at 48k.  I've tried changing file extensions to .mov and .mpg with the same results.  While clunky in 2017 (11) before the update, PP and AME both played all varieties of GH5 files so this is a pretty bad situation which will only grow as the GH5 take up grows.

Please Adobe look at this as an urgent patch and not make us wait 6 months plus for the next release.  Looks like my only work around will be transcoding in Apple Compressor or FCP.

I assume there is no way to roll back to the previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So another forum posted a nice re-wrap batch file to convert mp4/mov to mxf using ffmpeg.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/gh5-4k-24-30p-problem--105152/#ca658569

Tested with my files and they work now. Easy instructions and it's a re-wrap so very fast. This should help while we wait for a fix.

Edit:

So the mxf files are being read as having an aspect ratio of .9375. So not perfect, but this does work. Just have to interpret files to 1.0 I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great assistance there! Thanks.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whelp.. so I decided to test a working 8-bit mp4 file with this re-wrap and it appears that after I import, I have to shift the mxf file 2 frames to the right to line up with the original mp4.

Sorry for not doing more testing... I think I'll bow out and wait until a fix is in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have made a pdf of GJeffrey's instructions. http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/24249-adobe-breaks-gh5-10bit-import-for-pc-solution-inside/  The rewrapped clips play faster, have correct ratio 1.0 pixels, no audio gap on the end, and the audio lines up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup I used the same directions. UHD has proper ratio, but the C4K files don't. At least for me. If I use MediaInfo to look at the mp4 file and the re-wrapped mxf file the durations are different. Maybe this is a long-gop issue and so some of my files will be fine and other's aren't. Oh well. Hopefully others can find this works for them but for me.. I'll stick with 8 bit files for now until a fix is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the duration is shorter. If you look at the audio at the end of the mp4 clips you will see up to a second of extra frames with no audio. This no-audio bit is not shown when viewed in Vegas but is (or was) when viewed in Premiere. The rewrapping removes that bit. I haven't actually tried 10 bit C4K. I shot Onehunga Afternoon but it ended up being 8bit as the default (which I didn't check).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines